Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you know that the NAA charges each young archer $2500.00 to attend the World University Games that will be held in Korea this year?

We were all practicing at the US Target Championships when an announcement was made that the archers were a little short of funds to make the trip....Could we donate money?

Sunday evening a couple of us sat around thinking that folks are much more likely to buy raffle tickets than just give their hard earned cash away regardless of the worthiness of the cause...

By Tuesday afternoon, the raffle was on.....BCY, Bowtech, Brownell, Easton, GreaTree, Hoyt, J. Loesch, Lancaster Archery Supply, Martin, and PSE all had representatives that could make on the spot decisions.....

By Friday, $4000.00 had been raised!!! not bad for a spur of the moment 4 day raffle....

I want to join the rest of the archery community in congratulating all these companies for their support for this event!!!

Anyone still wishing to donate money, may contact the NAA office...719 866-4576

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
The raffel was a great idea and really went off great. Some of the collegiate kids were joking about having a silent auction where they auctioned off dates with the team members attending the World University Games. Maybe next year they can do that, bet they could earn some good money:D

·
Archery Coach
23,290 Posts
Last time round "Hollywood" was the team manager and she did an excellent job of fundraising (we supported the team since we had several friends on it and its the right thing to do). I promised Lloyd Brown additional support. I know several of the kids on the team and the ones I know (I am sure the others are class people too:) ) including Ashley Kamuf are wonderful representatives of the USA and our archery programs.

I hope others can help out too!!

·
Archery Coach
23,290 Posts
ttt

·
Registered
526 Posts
I am so happy to see the support for our collegiate team members!! That is spectacular!!

Although...I think the first message in the thread is a bit misleading. It isn't that the NAA "charges" each archer $2500 to attend the Games, but rather that they have to pay their own way to the Games because the NAA doesn't have the money to fund the trip. That's just the way it goes with some trips. I earned a spot as a barebow on the World Field Team that went to Canberra, Australia last year but I had to entirely pay my own way...which was okay! I was just happy to make the team!!! While I would like for the NAA to have unlimited funds and be able to pay for the whole team to attend each international event...it just isn't going to happen anytime soon.

A HUGE "Thank You" to all of you who donated to this great cause, The World University Games. It is wonderful to see the these archers represent the USA overseas! As Jim mentioned, I'm not the team leader for the trip this year, but I know that the archers all appreciate your help!

Thanks!

-peace,
Hollywood
:cool:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hollywood that is correct but as we understand it, out of the 2500 dollars some of that money goes to pay for the coaches way to get there. If that is true then the NAA is requiring them to pay for expenses not there own. Please tell us that is not true because it is a shame if it is.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Before this turns into any sort of argument, let us understand a few things.

1. The NAA does not make dime one by sending anyone to the WUG.

2. Everyone on the team knew up front that they would have to chip in for a portion of the support staff travel expenses. This was not a surprise to team members. They agreed to this before they decided to take a slot on the team.

3. Trips to Korea are not inexpensive.

4. The staff for the trip is made up of volunteers who are burning vacation time and who knows what else to support the team.

So what exactly is the issue here ? Sure, it would be *nice* if the NAA could fully fund the trip and the support staff, but the NAA is not in a financial position to do that.

The only NAA activity that brings money into the organization is the sending of recurve athletes to the Olympic Games, Pan American Games, and World Championships.

Everything else- JOAD, compound, you name it, depends for the most part on the revenue stream generated by the performances from those three events. Full stop, end of story. (Do not tell me about membership revenue- the NAA would still exist to field Olympic Teams without a single dollar more of membership revenue).

As far as NAA operations go, like compound and field, sending a team to the University games is optional, not a neccessity.

I agree it is great that sponsors and others have chipped in, but do not make it sound like the team members bear an unfair burden by having to support a portion of the volunteer staff travel. They chose to do that up front. (I strongly suspect that the staff will end up shelling out quite a bit from their own pockets by the time this is all said and done at any rate).

·
Archery Coach
23,290 Posts
You going on that trip gt?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Looks like George beat me to it in answering this. Yes, part of the funds that the archers have to come up with go towards financing the trip for the coaches, but as he stated, each member of the team knew that before they agreed to go on the trip. We made sure that was known before they even shot in the qualifying tournaments that enabled them to make the team.

I'm not going to reiterate everything George said, but I don't think it is unfair at all - because of the fact that it was known upfront and no one was forced into going.

Thanks for your support!

Peace!

·
Archery Coach
23,290 Posts
I never heard any of the team members last time around claim it was unfair. I was not at nationals this year so I haven't spoken to any of the relevant archers recently

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would just like to point out that no one said it was unfair.....

But it is a shame that the archer would have to go out and find funding without the help of those coaches that would benefit from the hard work of the athlete. As we all know, coaches do get paid.....

This is not an issue about equity, this post was merely started to congratulate a bunch of companies that stepped up to help out.:D

·
Registered
496 Posts
Okay they new ahead of time. Big deal. Why isn't the NAA actively going out holding fund raisers to help these kids out and the coaches? When asked if they were doing anything they were told no. so yea they new ahead of time. This raffle was not done by the NAA it was done by a concerned archer who gathered up all the a businesses / donations and started the raffle. It was thought of and acted upon and all donations commited in less the 2 hours work over the period of an afternoon. The NAA did ask for money donations at the Championships. I also have not heard anybody say it is unfair (but what kid would) I personally called it a shame. Meaning that we can not afford to send them is a shame. I don't beleive NAA is at fault for not being able to afford it, (due to prior commitments) but I do believe they can do more to raise money for worthy causes such as this. Look what one person did during their free time during the nationals. What this leads to is not somebody earning a spot but somebody who could afford a spot. The NAA is a good organization but it can do better GT.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts