Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think any expandable is better than the Montecs at penetration or even close. I have confidence in it's penetration power, but it is so small I worry about the exit wound and blood trail. I have them flying excellent, but not sure yet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
They are an incredible head. They pass through always unless I shoot quartering away into the opposite shoulder (my favorite shot).

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
The Montec will out penetrate most mechanical heads. The only thing I don't like about the Montec is that the blade edge angle is too obtuse. In my opinion the Striker is a better head design.

·
Banned
2,045 Posts
I am 9 for 9 with them, any boadhead in the zone = dead deer.

Penetration is better on Montecs(IMO), it is simple they do not have to open. Expandable have to spend energy to open, Montec's do not:wink:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I'm 3 for 3 with them on three complete pass throughs.

·
Registered
724 Posts
in my opinion the steel they use doesnt hold an edge very well and the ones i bought wouldnt shave hair out of the package either.but the fixed blade is definiately better on deer size game cause it gets better penetration if needed

·
Registered
640 Posts
100 grain Montec's are all I used last season. Love em. Through and through and on two doe. The second one had enough energy to bury the broadhead in a small hackberry tree after exiting the deer. The tip and blades looked as good as they did right out of the package.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Ridgerunner7 said:
Do you think any expandable is better than the Montecs at penetration or even close. I have confidence in it's penetration power, but it is so small I worry about the exit wound and blood trail. I have them flying excellent, but not sure yet.

montec should have adaquate pentration.

montec is considered large 3 blade.

exit wound and blood trail doesn't have anything to do with what brand
it has everything to do with your shot placement.

work on shot placement and your worry's are not.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Obviously it will not leave the kind of blood trail some of the mechanical with wide cutting diameters, but it is still one heck of a broadhead.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
slinger09 said:
Obviously it will not leave the kind of blood trail some of the mechanical with wide cutting diameters, but it is still one heck of a broadhead.
it will leave a heavy blood trail with the correct shot placement know it for a fact cause I've seen it and follwed the trail, didn't even have to bend over to see blood. Buddy shot the deer and I followed the trail. It's as good as the next one which is just as good as you are. :eek:

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
anybody that have the "ballistic gel" the guys in Mythbusters use and can do some tests?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I'm here to tell ya that....

Ridgerunner7 said:
I have used these heads since they came out in '02 and have never had a problem with the Montec. I have shot and recovered 11 different deer with these heads during that time. Had great penetration, great blood trails and have not had any sharpness or flight problems with them. Use them, trust them and you won't be disappointed. Good luck!!!!!

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've taken 4 deer with the Montec. Great flying head but the bloodstrails left something to be desired compared to experience. Yes the heads were shaving sharp. I don't think it is due to cutting width either. Shot one deer with a slick trick last year, same width, and blood trail was spectacular. My Montecs were also not as tough as expected. Four shots, three damaged heads, though one that was broken could be expected as it went thru the deer, stuck in a cedar while the arrow was still in the buck and broke where the arrow shaft and head meet when the buck took off. Can't complain about that one.
I'll continue to use them until they have to be replaced, but if my slicks fly as well in my MM as they to in my Patriot, I probably won't purchase any more.

·
Registered
895 Posts
5 for 5

here with the Montecs. I just started using them last year and I have no complaints with them at all. I killed 3 deer with one of the heads before it was damaged!

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Ridgerunner7 said:
good blood trails are made from good hits... worry about doing you're job and the broadhead will do its job.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I have had no problems with this head. I also have shot the Tekan II and have decided to soley hunt with the montec. It hits hard (125 grain) and pass through has never been an issue. I am 5 for 5 with this head, and three of the deer piled up within 50 yards. Easy to resharpen and flies great.

Daver

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Put it through both lungs and that deer will drop close enough so that a blood trail will be of little concern.

I think that is why I am always surprised at the distances other peoples deer go :secret:

I have never double lunged a deer that went over 40 yards on a run :wink:

These quartering shots are best to insure at least one lung and a bigger area to get that shot into but it's not as easy to get a double lung shot on.

Take them side too and at a minimal angle and you'll have no problems:wink:

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I realize a well placed shot will leave a better blood trail. I'm not an idiot. I am however red/green colorblind and its a little more difficult for me to follow a faint trail. I always get a partner when following a trail, but I've always tried to get a bigger blood trail to increase my chances of finding my animal. I previously used the rocket strictnines, 2" diameter that left tremendous blood trails and I recovered my game quickly. I don't have the confidence in the sticktnines to blow through a shoulder if I make a less than perfect shot, or the deer jumps the string. 1 1/8 diameter is small compared to what I'm used to but I think they will penetrate much better.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts