Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I am getting better at telling the difference between the sound of a squirrel and deer moving through the leaves. BUT, I may loose my mind if the foxes wont leave me alone.... If it was the hot women kind of foxes like Megan it would be one thing but these buggers have bushy tails and four paws. They move quieter than squirrels but they are large enough that the movement will catch your eye if you are alert and they always seem to show up during that "golden hour" when I am at full alert.

On all of my most recent evening hunts I have had foxes show up and well within bow range. I have to admit though, they are fun to watch. They are like my crazy **** hound on crack. They stick their noses in every nook and cranny and scurry about looking for a meal.

If I could see as many nice bucks as I see foxes I would be tagged out on bucks and have a huge taxidermy bill.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I had a fox curl up and go to sleep 15 yards from my stand yesterday morning. It was crazy watching squirrels get within 10 yards of him while he was sleeping and he didn't even seem to care. Either he was full or he had learned from experience that he can't catch squirrels.

It does get tempting to take a shot at one when you are bored.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Stupid opossums will do the same.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I vote shoot it. If you don't mangle it to bad you can sell the pelt. I get foxes, bobcats and ***** here. Check the law first tho. Problem on our farm to $$ in my pocket.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I vote you don't shoot them and just enjoy watching them. Not everything has to be shot and killed.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I like watching them, it amusing and interesting. But I would like to have one stuffed and laying on my gun cabinet someday.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Saw a mature doe kick a foxes ass many years ago. They crossed at about 3 yards by accident. Both froze until the doe kick him, ran him over

·
Proverbs 21:19
9,614 Posts
Just part of the outdoor experience. I've saw a lot of stuff in the woods. Some I decided to shoot and some I sat back and watched,my favorite Is flying squirrels.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have no intention of shooting them even if it is legal. They are not bothering anyone where I am hunting and they are fun to watch ! One evening I got to watch a pair of them. It is fun to hit the grunt tube and watch them just freeze in place. They are really pretty and I like having them around to watch. Like I said I have seen them almost every evening and I hunt some areas that are 60miles from each other. I guess they must like my company as well....LOL.

I only mentioned they were in range to give an idea how close they were.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
I shot a few foxes when I was younger. I actually feel bad about it now. They're really pretty and cool animals and they do eat squirrels so I leave them be now. Enjoy them

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have no intention of shooting them even if it is legal. They are not bothering anyone where I am hunting and they are fun to watch ! One evening I got to watch a pair of them. It is fun to hit the grunt tube and watch them just freeze in place. They are really pretty and I like having them around to watch. Like I said I have seen them almost every evening and I hunt some areas that are 60miles from each other. I guess they must like my company as well....LOL.

I only mentioned they were in range to give an idea how close they were.
I didn't mean to imply that you would shoot them. Just a couple of posts after yours that mentioned that. I'm glad you are enjoying nature! Have a great hunt.
Oz

1 - 20 of 44 Posts