Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What, where and why is the worst archery range you have ever been to? And how could they of made it a better range?

·
Registered
769 Posts
It use to be one of my favorites. I actually worked there for 4 or 5 years. It was sold to a guy that doesnt hunt and loves to fish. The archery range is now used for storage. They went from selling 200 bows a year to 35 last year. I went in when i was shopping for my new bow and they only had 3 bows on the shelf. It was a great shop where you could get great service. Now you dont even want to know

American Tackle Outfitters holland michigan.

·
Registered
942 Posts
The one I shoot at everynight, It is way to short and not enough space, no new bows to look at, no shop equipment to use.

My livingroom:tongue:

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
I would also have to say this question might be better addressed from the glass half full perspective, in other words whats the best range you've been to and why. The safety aspect should always be the number one priority, if you don't have that I would not shoot there. After that I'd probably go to target quality and set up, IE targets that are easy to pull arrows from and arranged in a way that makes shooting enjoyable. '94

·
Registered
359 Posts
Worst Range?

If you haven't practiced or shot in the University of Texas indoor archery range located in the basement of the Anna Hiss gym (spelling?), then I'm not sure you've ever been in a truly bad range. I've shot in many mom and pop places. With the majority of them, they at least had air conditioning. If they didn't have air conditioning, well at least they were above ground where you could get some air. It isn't that the range is too small, its size is fine, and it can handle small tournaments...but when you pack in 20 or 30 people...all under ground, with no air, its very uncomfortable. But, at least if there was a nuclear strike in Austin, archers there would be safe. So that you know I'm not just ragging on UT...their outdoor range is quite nice.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
The worst archeryshop I've been to is one that isn't there.... Memphis just doesn't have many archery shops.. Mostly Big places like Bass Pro Shops,, Sportsmans Warehouses and even a Gander Mountain closeby.. But as far as a place to shoot your bow.,. 1 place, and it isn't big enough .But I'm thankful it's there....

·
Registered
179 Posts
hahahaaha everything davidlx32 said. But my favorite range is at Balboa park in San Diego. They got a range when you first walk in with bails from 10 yrds to 40 yrds then you can walk down this course with 15 different targets at different ranges and angles from 11 yrds to 80 yrds marked off its like heaven in the off season. oh yeah its an outdoor range

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
The worst outdoor range that I have ever been to is in Plainfield Illlinois. Now I am not going to say the name of this place, but the targets there are probably 10 years old and the vitals are all shot out. So when you go there you may as well shoot all the animals in the head LOL that's the only thing that isn't shot up.

·
Registered
892 Posts
The redding range and the Coyote range in Darrington.

Had a blast at both places and will go back whenever I can but just way too UNSAFE!!!!
Hink you are such a wuss! If you want unsafe come on over for the NAA Field Championships and World Team Trials in Spokane, that range will have you SCEERD!

Attachments

·
Registered
769 Posts
Not that this is really bashing the mom and pop shops. My favorite shop is a mom and pop called grand valley sporting goods in allendale michigan about 15 minutes away from the other shop i was talking about. They are fantastic. They bent over backwards to make sure i was happy with my bow. They put a rest, site, peep, kisser in several different bows to make sure i was happy. They let me run all of them thry a chrono with my hunting arrows just for apples to apples comparison.

·
Registered
163 Posts
you would have to check your shorts after that shot!

·
Registered
615 Posts
We have some state parks that have archery courses. It's kinda set up like a 3-d, but you walk around course & shoot a paper targets mounted on buffalo board arrow stops. One of 2 things usally happen you hit target your arrow passes through or you hit area not shot up & on your way to next target you are picking all that buffalo board material that welds itself to your carbon arrow.

You do find alot of arrows in grass behind targets that people have lost, but not usally your own.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts