Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the pro shop yesterday picking up a few things. There was a guy in there with a original Bear Whitetail and some very old Easton Gamegetter arrows. I'm not sure what he was having done to the bow, but he said he hadn't touched it in 27 years and he was going hunting tomorrow.

It makes me wonder how many deer are lost every year to hunters who never practice and probably have unservicable equipment, but wouldn't think twice at taking a 30-40 yard shot at live game. :mad:

·
Registered
488 Posts
frustrating,isnt it? i have a name for people like that....i call them YAHOOS.we have them in the horseshow world,too.people like that dont have any respect for the animal that they are hunting.without respect,your not a hunter or a sportsman.your a yahoo.JMHO.

·
Registered
441 Posts
As Jed Clampett would say" PITIFUL".people like that really hurt our image

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Unfortunate there are hunters like that. I was in my stand last year and a father and his son sat down about 50 yards form me, but never saw me. Instead of getting down and leaving with only 45 minutes left, I decided to stay put. I had a little 6 point walk within easy bow range, at 15 yards giving me a perfect broadside shot. I let him go, watching him feed on acorns. The little buck was walking below the man and his son, but was well out of range, probably 50 yards.

All the the sudden I hear "twang!", and the noise of an arrow rattling through the tree limbs. I couldn't believe this guy actually took that shot. The deer stopped, not knowing what just happened, then walked another 20 yards or so. TWANGGGG! Another shot! The deer must have been 70 yards.

What really made me sick was that this guy had his kid with him. This is how some kids learn how to hunt, from numb skulls like this guy. I knew who the guy was, so after they left, I went and found his arrows and brought them over to his house. He was mightly surprised and embarrassed when he knew that I was watching the whole thing. Maybe next time he will be a little more careful. This guy couldn't hit a pie plate at 30 yards, much less a deer at 50. For every deer a guy like this kills, there are 3 or 4 more that die wounded from his poor shooting.

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
I have been a staff pro or associated with pro shops for almost a decade and its amazing what start rolling into the shops this time of the year (Ohio opens up next saturday)/ People who have busted cables or strings (and when you asked them why they didn't come in earlier they say its because it was OK when they put it away last year:rolleyes: ) or they just started shooting it.

I also note that we get more shots in our walls, and ceiling in this week then we will all year long, during this week.

Its amazing. :confused:

·
Registered
421 Posts
I can beat that!!!!!

.....I'm in a major retail store one day getting ready to purchase a hunting license. A man stepped up to the counter infront of me and aske dto do the same thing. As the clerk was making it happen he asked what was in season. I thought..."Ok perhaps he's a bit slow...hit in the head or something". To this the clerk replied quail, pheasant and tree rat. The next part is where we go a bit Rod Searling. The guy said,"Do you have any pictures of those?". We all just fell silent. What do you say to that? I think the response should have been "have you had hunter education?". However, this moron was let loose into the great wide open with little more than a license. This is why I do not hunt public areas. No offence to those who do. They simply attract the weekend warriors who do pay enough attention or do enough homework to make me feel safe.
I suppose all we can do is the best WE can, and try to teach those around us as we go.

:cool:

·
74,535 Posts
Tune there bow for them

and they head to hunt. AMAZING, actually sad.

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
My friend had a pro shop in Ill. put a right handed rest on his left handed bow! They said it was fine! I'll NEVER go back!
How many people don't even know that they got the wrong equipment!

·
Registered
35 Posts
As far as the public land hunting and the yahoos go, it can be good hunting. I get out early and scout only after studying topo maps and ariel photos. I find out where most people hunt, Ussually easy access, then I try and figure exscape routes for the deer. With the yahoos milling around in the woods they will get the deer moving pretty good. I just try to stay in more rugged areas than they like to travel into. On the weekdays when not as many yahoos are out I will have a totally different approach. Using the inexperienced hunter has payed off many times.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I ran into a guy at the local walmart and he said he doesn't practice because it makes you think about your shot. There is going to be alot of wounded deer where he hunts hopefully he misses everything.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Neighbor

I was watching football yesterday afternoon and I heard the familiar THUMP!! of an arrow hiiting a target!?
I look outside and I see my neighbor across the street with an old Hoyt-ish looking bow, solid steel stabilizer, and a 1 pin brass pin sight and 8 Old aluminum arrows.

He's shooting at one of those cheapy big foam Wally World targets about 3'X3'.

He has the target against his wooden deck, with his poodle running around in front of him and his WIFE has her head out the door to the deck watching.

The next 6 arrows go like this:(No lie)
Right of the target into the deck
LEFT of the target into the deck
Hit target upper right corner
Left of target UNDER deck
Left of Target under deck.

Remember this is 20 yards........a 3'X3' target!!:eek:
(To his credit the first 2 arrows were in the target but near the edges.:( )
So out of the first 8 arrows I saw 5 of them missed the target COMPLETELY.

How does a 3D tournament archer, and bowhunter of 19 years approach a neighbor with the intention of giving some tips, help, ro whatever without sounding like a "Know-it-All"? If ever I saw someone who needs help........Oh baby this is it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I watched a yo-yo last year at the shop I go to one week before opener buying his first bow ever. and shooting it for the very first time and saying oh that felt pretty good ( maybe 4yds from a target in the store) Now all I have to do is practice shooting from different hights to shoot a deer. I looked at the owner fitting him with the bow and the look of disbaleif on his face but he all he said was he should get use to shooting first. And the guy replied Oh my buddy says I should just practice at different heights.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I go hunting with a friend in Georgia. When archery season opens his 2 cousins get their bows out the night before and put them in the truck. Once the week is over they put their bows back in the closet. They ALWAYS complain that they cant hit the deer. Go figure. I'm glad me and my friend go back the following weekend.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Stories like these, and many others (believe me, I see my share of horror at the local lanes...) are the main reason I am in favor of a bowhunter education course, and a proficiency test for EVERYONE before they can buy a hunting licence. At present time, there is none (that are mandatory) here in WI for bowhunters.

Several years ago, I worked a part time job in the archery dept of a sporting goods store. Not full service like a pro shop, but we did build custom arrows. A young man came in for arrows, and I asked, "What size do you need?" He replyed, "Thirty inch", so I said, "Okay, but what size are you shooting now? Like 2117, 2216, 2219..." He said, "Aw, that don't matter, just thirty inch." Explaining the difference was like talking to a wall, so I just asked him to bring in one of his arrows so I could match the new ones to them. At the time, it never occurred to me that he probably didn't have two that matched anyway :eek: but I never saw him again.

I was lucky. My dad was into target shooting and hunting, so I was taught the right way from the begining. But many are sent home from a chain store with a "bow in a box" and have no idea what to do with it. Next thing you know, they are zinging arrows through the woods (or garage wall, deck, house siding and drywall...). I affectionately refer to them as "Arrow Chuckers" :rolleyes:

They are out there, and I hate to say it, but they probably out-number those of us that do practice. :(

·
74,535 Posts
It will always be this way

Had several young gollege friends in town over this weekend tuning there bows and teaching them to shoot properly. Amazing what little time you can have one shooting well. One guy, new archer. One hour and he didnt have one good arrow left after when he was done. He had broke ever nock or vane. He honestly didnt beleive this was capable of happening. Martin Cougar $300.00 bow with all accs.

Dealers that have indoor place to shoot really do help.

I told him to stop shooting same spot.

Now shooting target and shooting deer. Never will be the same. Something about heartrate. Cant simulate that.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RHINO said:
Stories like these, and many others (believe me, I see my share of horror at the local lanes...) are the main reason I am in favor of a bowhunter education course, and a proficiency test for EVERYONE before they can buy a hunting licence. At present time, there is none (that are mandatory) here in WI for bowhunters.
:(
I agree but it would never pass, to many bubbas who new they would fail would lobby to stop it. Fort hood has a policy that when you get your on post permit at the sportsmans center they make bowhunters take a archery proficency test. You have to hit a 9 inch circle at 4 different ranges plus one from a 8 foot elevated platform (the average stand hight on post).

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Panzer said:
You have to hit a 9 inch circle at 4 different ranges plus one from a 8 foot elevated platform (the average stand hight on post).
9 inch - that big? I thought that for whitetail, you wanted them all in a 5 inch circle? (Probably me being dumb again.)

What sort of ranges are we talking here - 10, 20, 30 ish, or longer?

Thanx

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
I'm sure we have all experienced some form of these types of hunters/archers. What percentage of them will beat the odds and overcome peer advice and superstition to become even an average archer?
Identifying those that are making an entry into our sport no matter how misguided is the first step in correcting the problem and possibly turning it into a plus. How about clubs, shops and individual archers figure out a way to educate these novices. It has to be interesting, non intimidating and effective. After all this is probably the starting point for most bowhunters. And after a while archers. How many on this board recognized the effort and dedication required to become proficient at this sport when they started? If you were lucky, you had guidance from quality sources. If not you stumbled into something that became more complicated than you bargained for. Some refused to quit and accepted the challange, others go into denial or do quit. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Shirt said:
9 inch - that big? I thought that for whitetail, you wanted them all in a 5 inch circle? (Probably me being dumb again.)

What sort of ranges are we talking here - 10, 20, 30 ish, or longer?

Thanx
Nine inches is kinda big but the guys said about half the time it takes people 2 or 3 tries. I think its 10, 20, 30, then 10 and 20 from the platform. But I may be wrong.

I haven't done it yet myself. I'm going to be in and out of the field most of the rest of the year, then I'm going to Iraq early next year. Couldn't afford to pay the $97 for all the liscenses and fees just to hunt 2 or 3 weekends. I'm going back to OH for 2 weeks for Chrstimas though, might get a little hunting time in then.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Now shooting target and shooting deer. Never will be the same. Something about heartrate. Cant simulate that.
Very true DB, but if someone can't hit a target in a controlled situation, how can they expect to make the shot when the pressure is on?

The shop I shoot at, is very good about helping the beginning archer. Join a club, join a league, shoot with people that already know how to shoot. The options are out there. The biggest problem is that the majority of them don't come to anyone for help, which is why I think they should have to complete a basic course before they can get a license and start shooting at living things, just like they do with a gun in most states. This would not only be good for buisness for the pro shops, but it would make for better bow hunters in general.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts