Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question. If I were to be out and about in my woods, checking trail cams, putting up stands, etc and I brought my dog with me, do you guys think that my dogs scent would be something that might worry the deer?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I would guess that depends on the area the deer most frequent. If it near a town or near a lot of houses with dogs then it probably won't bother them too much because they are used to them being around. Now if they are in the wilderness, living by coyotes and the occasional wolf then it night put them on edge.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Why take the chance.

Dogs,yotes and wolves are not friends of deer. I can't imagine it not bothering them.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't think so. I keep all of my stuff out in the garage wear the dog stays. I try to keep where the dog can't touch it but you know some of the scent gets on it anyway. I never have had any problems. But, I still would not want it smell like a dog because I consider them a predator.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
even if they are not best friends they come by eachothes sent on a daily basis, in my neck of the would i see about half as many yotes as i do deer. that a lot of both. so no i dont believe it would spook them. now if the deer smells the dog/yote/wolf and turns and sees them chasing them then by all means i agree they will be spooked.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
why take the chance? i had an issue with the neighbor's dog trailing me and marking all over the place. my deer sightings went way down when this happened. started kenneling the dog when i would go out to keep the dog from following my trail. noticed alot more deer that way. for me not just worth it. :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
I know a guy in Wyoming that takes his little mutt elk hunting with him. The little dog just sits quietly beside him while he calls in elk, and the elk are not bothered by the smell of the dog.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Doubtful. I was out yesterday evening and had a couple dogs run by. Not ten minutes later two does came walking in and stood literally right on the path the dogs had walked on. Some other dogs had run through the same area earlier.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
One thing you can control. Remove all doubt and don't take the dogs in.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've heard of a guy that claims he took a wet sock and brushed his dog with it to get scent on it, and placed on a deer trail in a thicket to divert the deer to move more to an opening. Dont know if it worked

·
Registered
24,903 Posts
i had 2 dogs run threw and scare off all the dog i had around me. went to the same stand later that day and had a monster come in with a doe and 4 point

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Ok maybe scent won't scare them.

I'm sure urine is another thing. You know a dog pees marking things everytime he smells urine. You want him marking a scrape ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts