Archery Talk Forum banner

Would appearance be a factor for Pro Staff??

622 Views 11 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  xman59
If the person was a great shooter and promoted archery . Donated his time to children to teach archery... You talked to him on the phone everything was fine and then he showed up and he had a sleeve of tattoos and long hair maybe a beard.. Would you not give him a position on your prostaff???
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
10,119 Posts
No Problem

I would not care what he looked like.

If he was a supporter of the sport, a half decent shot, represented my shop in a positive light and could send people in to buy things.

Didn't brag, always friendly and helpful.

Did I say didn't brag?? This is a big one for me. I see other shop shooters around and all they do is talk about themselves.
Not a good reflection on a shop or company.

· Registered
1,836 Posts
I would. I learned along time ago that looks don't mean a whole lot. My 1st impressions have led me wrong a couple times.

· Registered
844 Posts
If the person was a great shooter and promoted archery . Donated his time to children to teach archery... You talked to him on the phone everything was fine and then he showed up and he had a sleeve of tattoos and long hair maybe a beard.. Would you not give him a position on your prostaff???
Sounds like he's staff material to me. Despite how he looks most people who are staffers dont put in the time to teach kids or even promote anything beside themselves it seems like.

· Registered
919 Posts
I think that is a very touchy subject, I was brought up on looking professional at all times, that meant clean clothes, clean cut appearance, shirt tucked in ect. If he were to show up and his air was long and messy, his beard looked like it hasn't been cared for in a month, his clothes were messy and his tattoos were overly vulgar then no I wouldn't ask him. However, if he were to go to shoots and look very professional, had on clean clothes, hair was taken care of, beard was trimmed up and he still did what you said with the kids, and promoting the sport than heck yes I would ask him to be a staff shooter.

· Registered
1,678 Posts
I think that is a very touchy subject, I was brought up on looking professional at all times, that meant clean clothes, clean cut appearance, shirt tucked in ect. If he were to show up and his air was long and messy, his beard looked like it hasn't been cared for in a month, his clothes were messy and his tattoos were overly vulgar then no I wouldn't ask him. However, if he were to go to shoots and look very professional, had on clean clothes, hair was taken care of, beard was trimmed up and he still did what you said with the kids, and promoting the sport than heck yes I would ask him to be a staff shooter.
:thumbs_up

· Registered
25,353 Posts
i would. its just archery dont thank to many people would wear a tux to a shoot. there was 2 staff shooters that used to work at a local proshop and they had tats everywhere. its just ink. if the guy is nice, a good shooter, and like another guy mentioned doesnt talk about himself like a god than he is all good by me.

· Registered
9,673 Posts
In a perfect world, it wouldn't matter...but we don't live in a perfect world, and while it shouldn't matter, it does in practice. Image is something that all companies and shops are aware of and take into account, and it is not just their pro-staff. First imprressions are always the lasting ones. Walk into a shop that is dirty and unorganized, and the impression and chances of gaining the business and repeat business of the 1st time customer is less than the shop that is clean and organized.

Like it or not, staff shooters aren't there to influence the people who know them, they are there to influence the people who do not, influence them to zshop at a specific store or buy a certain product. Society, as a general rule, will give the "clean" much more of a chance than the other.

Not saying I agree with it, just the way it is...and as a business decision, most companies are going to go with the clean.

Ever seen anything other than a "perfect" female advertising a swim suit? Heck, look at the admirers a certain Mathews hunting staff person gets because of looks...it sure ain't because of their knowledge of hunting IMHO...

· Registered
13,757 Posts
appearances can be deceiving and sometimes people are .. in business appearance does count, the way you dress the way you talk and the language you use.. customers relate to these whether anyone admits it or not... the last thing I want to see in any kind of outdoors business( archery gun, fishing boats atvs trailers,, is a guy in a suit!!!!

blue jeans and t shirts work in archery, jeans and a collared shirt but not a dress shirt work good in gun sales, tattoos may or may not be relivant... it really depends on what they are... i dont want a waitress with tattoos on her arms serving me any thing .. a cook at a bbq pit, no problem... my mechanic can have tat's, dont care for them on my attorney or my cpa.... my customers can have any they want, my employees not gonna happen,,,people dont get tat's they dont believe in.. sometimes they change but people have there perceptions.. I wont let that be a negative on my business.. I want women and children to feel safe and comfortable in my business

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.