Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well hello everybody, and thank you for takin the time to read this......i as thinkg about takin up bowfishing b/c it looks like a load of fun. i was wondering how good a rig i could get for not an outragious price. plz list some brand names, and wut i will need. can i use the arrows i have, or are there special type arrows. i have gold tip arrows, and i was wondering. do u guys use the same bow to fish wit, that u use to hunt with.

thanx to whoever helps me out

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
I just got my set-up together last night and went out tonight to "water tune" it. I got an AMS retriever (reel), AMS wave roller arrow rest, Muzzy Sting-aree arrows and a PSE bow. You do need special arrows to bowfish with. These arrows are long and quite heavy and are made of fiberglass. AMS recommends the AMS safety slide on your arrow to prevent your line wrapping around your bowstring. I paid about $100 for the retriever, rest and 2 arrows. You can go a little cheaper and get a reel seat and buy a Zebco 808 reel with some heavy pound test. The reel seat mounts into your stabilizer hole. I didn't do this, because the AMS retriever seems to be the best way to go, but this is just my opinion and I am just as new to it as you. You can use just about any bow. If you are looking to save $, you can make a rest out of epoxy or pick one up for around $10.
AMS's website is www.amsbowfishing.com

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
I don't use the same bow. I wouldn't want to drop that kind of $ in the drink. I picked up a 1997 PSE here on AT. You can certainly use your hunting bow if you like, just turn down the poundage. I believe the average poundage for a bow fishing bow is around 45-50. Mine is 60 though. It all depends on how big and how deep you are going to bowfish. There are no special bows for it, all the accessories mount to just about any bow.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
You can certainly use that bow at 45 or whichever weight you choose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey doc, if my dad agrees to getting a new bow this year for christams. since ive had it for 3 years. what kind of bow would u suggest for hunting...i have a 28 inch draw. im guessin i dont need a real expensive one since i may grow out of it.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
The best advice I can give you on that one is to determine how much $ he is willing to spend and then go and try at least 6 different bows from different manufacturers. Everybody is different and every bow feels different to different people. Before you shop determine what you want the bow to be and the priorities in your mind
Do you want a forgiving bow?
Do you want a quiet bow?
Do you want a fast bow?
Do you want a virtually shock-free bow?
When you shoot the bow that is right for you, you will know it. Just hope it is within your budget.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
well my dad believes in buying something that is of good quality and will last. he would rather spend money on a good thing, then spend money on a ok one. and have to fix it. like when he bought me a summit razor tree stand :smile: thx for the advice, and hopefully i can get set up to go fishing, after this years deer season. also...do u need to have a special license to bowfish, or just a regular fishing license.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
In Ohio, you just need a fishing license.
Well if your dad is going to cough up some $ for your next bow, be sure to give the BowTech's a shot or two when you are making your decision.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Welcome to the sport. Another option to consider is find a Mathews FX, I've seen them anywhere from $150 to $200. Then you can get a sportsman cam for it and have a bow that you can bow fish with also. The sportsman cam doesn't allow any breakover. This makes the bow quick to shoot, and fast. Just another option. I've rigged out 2 bows like this recently and both have run between $250 and $275. Good luck on your search.

J.Shoot :smile:

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
where in michgian are you located... Just go to a local pawn shop for a cheap bow. You can go to gander MT for your BOHING hand reel and arrow for 26 bucks... Josh

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Set Up

Check out my post here and in the bow section. I have a PSE Carroll Intruder, rest, Bohning reel w/ line, and arrow. $75 plus actual shipping.

·
Registered
18 Posts
if ur looking at a new hunting bow, look at hoyt . they make a great product. im looking at a protec or the xtec for hunting now. i have 1 protec already and i love it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Setup

Hey MI hunter:

I suggest a recurve. PSE Kingfisher is what I shoot with a retriever reel. I believe recurves are best for the quick shot. If you can find a good wooden recurve with a stabalizer hole they are lighter but not as durable.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
For hunting, I would recommend any of the Reflex line of bows. They are just like a hoyt but at a fraction of the price. Im 14 and had to pay for my bow myself so I got the excursion and love it. I can shoot consistent paterns with the arrows touching and about 7 inch groups at 40 yards. I would recommend you getting bare bow and getting all the gadgets yourself though. I replaced everything that came with the kit except for the quiver. I think its like 280 or around there for the bare bow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.