Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went and pulled a couple of cameras I had on PUBLIC land today and was excited to see what was on the cards............Well I get to the first one and for some reason it was turned off (cheap one with a power button on the front). I thought, well no big deal I can see the tracks of some nice deer on the trail it was on so I don't need any reasurrance there are nice deer there.

Next, I turned my focus on a camera I had placed way in the back of the PUBLIC land near the boarder of that land. Well, when I got there I noticed something strange from afar. There was a homemade cardboard sign nailed to the tree my camera was on stating that I am on private land and to stay off and not to sit in this person's stand.................REALLY!

First off my camera and myself were not on private land......Second, I would NEVER sit in anyone's stand (no stands even in this area anyway). Third, I noticed that the PUBLIC land signs had all been removed by someone (gee I wonder who?) with just the posts still in the ground.......

So I am asking what your guys' opinion is on hunting this spot next year or staying away because of these so called scare tactics?

Also, Would this bother you? And if so, what would you do?

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
I would be thankful my camera was still there, that is certain. You know it is public land, so hunt on and let the other guy do the dirty work. You make out like a bandit.

·
Registered
23,335 Posts
Yes that would bother me (if it is in fact on public ground). I would try to get the game warden to talk to the guy and assure him it is public land. Maybe the guy really thinks it is private land, but who knows. At least the guy didn't steal your camera.

·
Liv4Rut
7,318 Posts
I have seen that before too where people remove the public signs. Really bothers me. I have never had a bad run in with people but I fear some day I will.

·
Embrace the suck!
7,777 Posts
Show us a picture of the guy. You should have one.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Call local LE.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I would get the game warden involved and triple check that it was in fact public land. If it was I would hunt there. Have the warden's number in your cell in case you need it.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I would get a warden or a park worker and tell him what happened.Walk him back to the area to make 100% sure you was on public land and then when he said you was, i'd show him where the public land signs that had beem removed. I would think that alone could get the person in trouble for messing with state property. And like another person mentioned, did you get a picture of this person on your trail cam? If so i'd give a copy of it to the warden.

Now that being said, you know the old, it was public land and anybody can hunt and go where they want on it line your gonna get. But yes, that would be upsetting.

·
Registered
830 Posts
He's messing with state property by removing those signs. Bust his azz! It's more than likely someone who owns land close by unless hes just a lunatic anti whos trying to prevent people from hunting.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Yes that would bother me (if it is in fact on public ground). I would try to get the game warden to talk to the guy and assure him it is public land. Maybe the guy really thinks it is private land, but who knows. At least the guy didn't steal your camera.
good idea here...let the warden pay him a visit or hide the camera really well and get pics of this guy so you know who he is then talk w the warden....

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
When the public land signs are replaced,put a trail cam on them and show your game warden when the guy removed them again.
I would feel uncomfortable about this too.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Get the game warden involved and if he gives you any problems during hunting season kick his ars. Too many people butt their business into others and need to learn to mind their manners. I hunt public property also and I always tag out and have been lucky enough to harvest 3 pope and young animals off of it including a 172in 12pointer. I love this sport and the time it gives me with family and friends outdoors but so many other hunters make me so angry out on public property just walking around jump shooting and everything else they do out their.

·
Registered
557 Posts
In Minnesota it is illegal to leave a trail camera up in Public Land. If you do leave it there it becomes public property and if someone takes it there is nothing you can do about it. It's not right but its in the rule book.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
It's exactly border disputes like this that led me to get a gps w/ property lines marked. I carry anywhere I think there might be dispute. Game warden told me he would honor this. I was surprised how much land that is marked private and is actually public. More ground for me to hunt!

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
First off I would call the DNR and or anyone in charge of this public land facility. Have them come out and witness and take a report.

Then I would get on your GSI website and see who owns the land that borders this area and see if the DNR officer will meet you at their home and discuss if they have your camera.

I would hunt it as long as its public land, most likely the bordering landowner or hunters that want to scare off anyone from hunting there. I'm sure they've had numerous problems with others coming on their land from this public property. I know a guy has a horse farm by a big indiana public owned property, he's had dozens of problems in just a few years.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I do not have any pics of the guy. It appears that he turned my camera to the side when he was putting up his sign. I am not one for confrontation....but I plan on hunting in the general area this coming fall, so I will make sure I have my map of the land and my cell phone on me with the CO's number on speed dial just in case.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Actually it would make me very curious ...

If I was a bettin man hes doing more wrong than right.

I would have to play his cards. Just Sayin ...

But then again this could be a she and not a he. Even more interesting ,.. I gotta know who's who.

Crazy Wolf

1 - 20 of 28 Posts