Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know every bow feels different to everyone, but would you buy a bow solely based on Online Reviews? How accurately can someone describe the characteristics of how a bow feels and performs?

On here, I've found several contradictions about how certain bows feel person to person. Discussing the same make/model/year, some might say it's soooo smooth and forgiving, while others saying it's harsh and jumpy. I'm beginning to get annoyed with that overused term, "forgiveness". I guess it really does boil down to personal preference.

My local shop mostly has short ATA hunting bows. I'm looking for the opposite. So my only option is online. :confused:

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,930 Posts
Yes, I've done it quite a few times. Sometimes it worked out well, sometimes not so much. I'm leaning more and more these days to the need to shoot it first though.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I know every bow feels different to everyone, but would you buy a bow solely based on Online Reviews? How accurately can someone describe the characteristics of how a bow feels and performs?

On here, I've found several contradictions about how certain bows feel person to person. Discussing the same make/model/year, some might say it's soooo smooth and forgiving, while others saying it's harsh and jumpy. I'm beginning to get annoyed with that overused term, "forgiveness". I guess it really does boil down to personal preference.

My local shop mostly has short ATA hunting bows. I'm looking for the opposite. So my only option is online. :confused:
I would never buy a bow without at least holing it in my hand first! I'd try abd find someone in the area who might let you shoot their bow if its the model your looking for. Unless your able to return it for full refund I wouldn't bother... Imho. Good luck!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I wouldn't unless it had raving reviews. When I buy guns, I scour forums and youtube for in-depth reviews, and I get in touch with people who have the model I'm looking at. What bows are you looking at? Maybe someone here has or has shot them and can give you their thoughts.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I've only had four bows. The first Bear I bought I did so on Ebay. The next two I shot first and the Strother I bought from a guy here from South east Georgia. I still shoot that bow.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I ordered the 2016 Elite impulse also without ever shooting. There wasn't no reviews yet so I placed my order. I shoot all the new bows but a few shots dosent tell me anything. Most time it's only with a rest I need sights and everything to see how steady and get a true feel of a bow usually takes me a month to get my input on one... With that being said I got no problem buying a bow and never shooting it

·
Registered
313 Posts
I personally would never buy a bow without shooting it first. My reason for that is I've shot a few bows that people absolutely raved about and after shooting them I hated them. The two examples were the pse decree hd and the mathews chill r. Rave reviews and everyone talked them up but for some reason I just didn't like them. I also heard a lot of negative things from people about the no cam and it was one of my favorite bows to shoot this year. Everyone is so different in what they like and what they perceive that going off of just reviews alone is to me not the greatest idea but sometimes it works. To each his own.

·
Back Yard Champion
32,017 Posts
Yep, bought many without shooting. Bought one completely sight unseen, but I knew the owner of the company, Ben Pearson Archery, Jeremy Blackmon, and he said I'd like it. I did and still have it 3 years later....

·
Registered
Ten Point Turbo GT - Viper S400
2,042 Posts
Yep I got a new hoyt carbon spyder 30 zt on the way. Never got to shoot or hold on but I do have a spyder 30 2013 bow. I been told that its a good bow as I know my current spyder is. Im nervous yes but I believe I made a good choice.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
if the bow is full price or still expensive I won't. I also won't buy one without putting on a long stabilizer on and seeing what way it points when I draw the bow. I'm not fooling with a bow that the stabilizer points left or right when I draw the bow.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts