Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Give Up No Tags AT All

Votes: 10 9.5%
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not sure what show I was watching but, a very young boy was hunting with his dad. I have never seen a youngster get so excited before like this guy did. I know PA has started a new program to mentor children and create an interest in hunting for them.

I also know a gentleman how took his 9 year old hunting this year and was letting him shoot his first deer if the oppurtunity was to present itself. Well it did and it was the buck that dad was hunting for all year(I would like to say Karma for this guy....Like I said earlier I know the guy I didnt say that I liked him). So from what I was told dad would not let him shoot the buck, but he did however get to shoot a doe.

So I asking this question would you give up any license to a youngster, give up just a doe license, or not give up either.

I know what I would do and would never think twice about doing it.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I would give up any tag I had for my own kid or any other kid I took hunting that I cared about. Simply no critter means as much to me as my kids.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Without a doubt. I am so greatful that my dad was around to get me started in hunting, and I can't wait to get my son started!

I think that if you teach a child hunting and what it means and what its all about, you teach them something that will stick with them forever. I believe that this child will be changed and they earn a whole new respect for, life, the environment, and many other things.

I would love to take any child and teach them about the outdoors and hunting. It would be worth my next 5 tags to be able to see this child enjoy the thrill of the hunt!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Im not sure what show I was watching but, a very young boy was hunting with his dad. I have never seen a youngster get so excited before like this guy did. I know PA has started a new program to mentor children and create an interest in hunting for them.

I also know a gentleman how took his 9 year old hunting this year and was letting him shoot his first deer if the oppurtunity was to present itself. Well it did and it was the buck that dad was hunting for all year(I would like to say Karma for this guy....Like I said earlier I know the guy I didnt say that I liked him). So from what I was told dad would not let him shoot the buck, but he did however get to shoot a doe.

So I asking this question would you give up any license to a youngster, give up just a doe license, or not give up either.

I know what I would do and would never think twice about doing it.
From what I understand about the mentor program here in PA....The adult does not lose a tag by letting the kid shoot a deer. They just have to make their own tag for it like the one showed in the PA Hunting book. I know a guy who let his son shoot a buck and after gutting that deer out and dragging it out on their way back to the stand he also shot a buck.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I would give up anything for my children and do anything I deemed necessary to protect them.

My father would have done it for me. My grandfather would not have.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the question... if the kid is hunting, why doesn't he have his own tags?

My thought is, when my son turns 12 and gets his first license, I'm going to forget about shooting one myself and do everything I can to put him on a deer... buck or doe, I want him to take the first good shot opportunity where he's confident he can put one in the vitals. I certainly don't think a kill is necessary for a good hunt, but he will have been waiting & practicing 5 long years for that opportunity and I want his first season as a licensed hunter to be a very positive experience.

I plan on taking him out with me this season, at 7 yrs old, with the expectation that we'll never get close enough for me to take a shot. He just hasn't learned to be stealthy enough. But, frankly, I don't care if it means a few missed shot opps for me. I'm teaching him to hunt and that requires sacrifice on my part.

That being said, there will also be days when dad goes out alone to try to get a shot at that big 10pt I've been watching since last sept...

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
This was a no brainer for me. I would probably never live it down that one of my kids killed a monster buck, but I would be proud and excited no matter who got the deer down.
Plus it would be something that they would remember for the rest of their lives. I still hear the story from my son, on the duck he shot when he was 4 years old. I let him take a bb gun (didn't work either) with me duck hunting one day. We saw some coming and I told him when I say shoot you shoot at that leading duck. Well that duck fell and I told him I missed it. He carried that duck around all day and showed every family member of the duck he shot.

·
Banned
919 Posts
I don't have any kids but if my nephew would get a shot at the big 150 class buck i have been hunting for i would without thinking TWICE let him shoot it. I would probably feel MORE proud that he got it than me anyway! He would be my buddy and hunting partner FOR LIFE!!!!!!!! That would be awesome!!! I would quit hunting and just go with him if i needed to!

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Back in the day when pheasent hunting was real big my dad and I would take to the fields to hunt them. My dad always said hey! if one bird goes up its yours first . But if ya miss its mine. Sorry if its alittle of the post but I think ya know what Iam getting at. Yes , I believe I would give up that tag. Thanks Dad!

Crazy Wolf.

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
Good grief... This guy took his son hunting and made him pass on a trophy buck because he wanted it. :pukey:

What a dad. :pukey:

·
Registered
398 Posts
I did hand the gun to my 12 year old when he was sitting with me once and a nice buck came out into the field. He dumped it and it is now on the wall. That deer means more to me than ANY deer I had ever shot before or since. And yes I used my tag on his deer. And no I did not mind at all. He has since become a very successful bowhunter.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I would let any kid take a first deer. I have passed up and let kids try that I only met that morning. He didn't get it but so what.

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
Good grief... This guy took his son hunting and made him pass on a trophy buck because he wanted it. :pukey:

My thoughts exactly. You have to be a real scumbag to take an opportunity like that away from your own child :mad:

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From what I understand about the mentor program here in PA....The adult does not lose a tag by letting the kid shoot a deer. They just have to make their own tag for it like the one showed in the PA Hunting book. I know a guy who let his son shoot a buck and after gutting that deer out and dragging it out on their way back to the stand he also shot a buck.

I understand this. I was just asking the question. Im just venturing a guess here but sooner or later the game commission will come up with some type of tagging system espically if they start getting all of the children under 12 shooting bucks.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not sure I understand the question... if the kid is hunting, why doesn't he have his own tags?

My thought is, when my son turns 12 and gets his first license, I'm going to forget about shooting one myself and do everything I can to put him on a deer... buck or doe, I want him to take the first good shot opportunity where he's confident he can put one in the vitals. I certainly don't think a kill is necessary for a good hunt, but he will have been waiting & practicing 5 long years for that opportunity and I want his first season as a licensed hunter to be a very positive experience.

I plan on taking him out with me this season, at 7 yrs old, with the expectation that we'll never get close enough for me to take a shot. He just hasn't learned to be stealthy enough. But, frankly, I don't care if it means a few missed shot opps for me. I'm teaching him to hunt and that requires sacrifice on my part.

That being said, there will also be days when dad goes out alone to try to get a shot at that big 10pt I've been watching since last sept...

PA has introduced a pilot mentoring plan that allows children under 12 to hunt with an adult of 21 years of age....the child doesnt need a license

Here is the link to the web site http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/

·
Silent Death
2,895 Posts
I would in a heart beat. My fiance is still a deer virgin. I took her out this year during shotgun season, with that exact thing in mind. I had a very predictable, 3 year old 9 pointer in the area all bow season, but I did not want to kill him. I took her out with the sole intention of burning my buck tag for her. I rattled him up, and the hunter on the other side of the ridge blasted him, Gotta love team work, and public property!!!

·
Registered
5,919 Posts

Add another to the list.

Then again, I enjoy the hunt so much, but being able to take another along and help them experience the outdoors is such a wonderful thing. I've taken 3 kids in the last 6 yrs, and gotten them closer to deer than they'd ever been in their lives. None of the 3 killed anything, but seeing the FEVER (BUCK) consume their body and the excitement they had in them was more than enough for me.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The excitement shown on the kids face would be more than enough for me go give up my tag...

MY son get to be the shooter for the first time this year and I can't wait I am giving him my best spot and forgo my season until he get his chance.

·
Registered
172 Posts
took my nephew out this year for his first ever hunting experiance and was able to put a doe down 10 yards from him...Needless to say he wanted to go through hunter saftey for christmas with his uncle dutch25..
If I could legally give up the tag for any kid I would everytime.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts