Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now that i have a target bow, i am thinking of going from a 405 grn carbontech whitetail to 505 grn xx78 2514 for hunting,i keep thinking of all the yrs i have been bow hunting ,i can only recall 2 or 3 shots over 25 yrds.i just dont see the need to shoot that fast any more/if any of you have done this did you stick with it or go back to speed .and by the way i end up with like 78 ft lbs with the xx78s....

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
You could either go with the 2514's or check out Easton's Full Metal Jackets and come out to somewhere around that weight with a 340 shaft and a 125gr head. You'll have a bit more forgiveness as far as bending goes and FMJ's are almost bullet proof!! You'd be giving up some speed and gaining drive through power.

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
Whatever makes you happy.
I shoot 340fps and a 380 gn arrow.
I have always had pass thru's.
Hard quartering away shot on a 225 lb buck this season, entry high in front of rear quarter, exit low thru front shoulder. Right thru the scapula. 100 gn striker.
The whole arrow was inside his body for an instant, before it came out the other side.
K/E kills and it can be gotten a number of different ways.
Shoot what makes you confident, I do.
Same arrow has killed two does this season since that. Maxima 350.
Same striker on it once sharpened, once new blades.

marty

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
i shoot an easton fmj, 437 grains, at 273. shot a deer at 43 yards or so this year, had no penetration trouble, deer didn't duck, and i grunted to stop him, he looked right at me.
I think you should shoot whatever is most accurate.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could either go with the 2514's or check out Easton's Full Metal Jackets and come out to somewhere around that weight with a 340 shaft and a 125gr head. You'll have a bit more forgiveness as far as bending goes and FMJ's are almost bullet proof!! You'd be giving up some speed and gaining drive through power.
the only reason i am going with the xx78s is i have them laying around,as they get used up, i will most likely go with carbontech rhinos...

·
Registered
515 Posts
gowith slow and heavy you will be better off in the long run. Better in wind and if you hit bone now if your just taking for deer then anything will go threw my son shot a 1800lb buffalo shooting 47# with a 2213 xx75 with 100gr thunder heads.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Im shooting 264fps with a 416gr arrow.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
guys i have never had to worry about pass throughs,i shoot 31.5 inch draw at 70 lbs even when i was shooting spitfires i shot a 170 lb doe, cut 1 rib inhalf on the way in, 2 inhalf on the way out.just wanted to hear from guys that have slowed there hunting rigs down and how did they like it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I shoot 242 fps and have taken an elk, lots of Texas hogs, and ~ 20 deer. Skill of the hunter and accuracy of the shot is more important to me for hunting than arrow speed

quiet and accurate shot > fast arrow

oh, I see the post about slowing down a hunting rig....I've got a rubber string stopper, two sets of rubber cat whiskers, limb vibration dampers, and a large peep sight with no rubber hose. Sure it all slows the bow down, but its deadly quiet when I release.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I am using CX Terminator XP selects, Blazer vanes, and with 125 grain points. I weighed my arrows in at 462 grains plus or minus 1.5 grains. I like the quiet shot I get and the consistency is nice. I don't know how fast my bow is and I don't think I will check, but I can tell you it is tuned well and will drill through my bag target fairly often. Very fun to shoot.

·
Need to get to town,fasst
6,011 Posts
I am hoping to go the other way. Currently getting 266 with a 415 grain. Looking to get 285 with the same arrow at 62lbs versus 64.5 I have a short draw length and want to make sure penetration is the best it can be. That said I have never had an issue with penetration but I would like the confidence if I need to drive the arrow through it will do the job. :)

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I would trade speed for more ke if it meant making a more accurate and deadly shot any day. You have a good plan, and I would stick to it if you are accurate and can live without being a speed freak!:darkbeer:

·
Registered
336 Posts
I am happy shooting 540gr arrows at 270. If you want the ultimate in penetration go with the skinniest diameter arrow you can when you run out of the 2514 fatties. The fattest part of my arrow is the ferrule of my BH, so in my uneducated opinion the wound channel creates less drag on the arrow shaft cause it is thinner till it gets to the vanes.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Yes, because

I went from a 342 gr. arrow @ 291 F.P.S. to a 470 gr. @ 252 F.P.S.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
I think you'll like it.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts