Archery Talk Forum banner

Would You Grunt & Some Light Sparring W/ Antlers?

530 Views 10 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  harleyrider
In Ohio this weekend? Or would you wait til next weekend to begin light, infrequent sparring type rattling?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
872 Posts
Yes

I did the light rattling yesterday. IT WORKED. Had a huge P&Y 8 point come in 23 yards MISSED LOL hit a limb:pukey::pukey: So YES I would try it.

JMO

· Registered
10,204 Posts
I would def. be all over the horns. In fact I'm using them this weekend in KY. If you have a fair number of bucks, your chances of rattling one up is good.

· Registered
421 Posts
i will be trying a little friday morning. nothing aggressive, just enough to catch the curiosity of a nearby buck.

best of luck

· saskarcher
5,124 Posts
instead of rattling in the early season I like to pretend that I am a lone buck,, rub those antlers on trees like they would making a scrape, use those antlers to scuff up the ground releaseing all that fresh earth scent, give a toot on the doe bleat, give a soft grunt,, don't over do it.
IMO that works better, it makes the animal more relaxed and instead of circling to catch the scent stream most bucks will come right in... my sightings have gone way up since I switched from rattling to "just being a buck"
in the late season closer to the rut, rattling comes into it own!

· saskarcher
5,124 Posts
don't give too much information ;), can call yes, sparingly, scent, they can get from aways off, best to have them lookin for ya! you must keep the wind proper, try to set up so they cannot get behind you to get your wind..

· # 9 # 9 # 9......
2,081 Posts
I grunted in a 140 class buck yesterday
Hey OGB were you blind calling or had you already seen the buck and grunted him closer?

On Sunday I did a very short, light rattling sequence on a creek bottom travel route adjacent to some heavy cover just at first legal shooting light (AM). Within 15 minutes I had a very nice tall-tined 8 or 10 point weaving through the head-high weeds about 70 yards directly in front of me. I grunted again softly but could never get him to come to me and he eventually drifted off. I'm pretty sure he came to the calling because this particular stand is great for does/family groups but I rarely see bucks traveling by it this early in the season.

HR

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.