Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy of mine has 10 acres that borders a hunting club and has been seeing a few deer behind his house and says i should come shoot one. 10 acres is kinda small in terms of hunting land and my concern would be tracking wounded deer that make it to the club . The deer also appear to just be passing through his area,usually around 3am. I scoped it out just to see and wasnt real impressed as far as deer sign...a few indications of common travel trails but not real heavy use. What you guys think?

· Registered
198 Posts
I'll tell you what. I have 400 acres I hunt on with some buddies and we haven't seen any shooter bucks. So, I decided to see what was coming up on my 5 acres that backs my house and I had 6 different 120+" bucks popped up on my camera. Zero sign back there too.

· Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anything i can do to keep deer in this area for shooting hours this far in season other than throwing some corn down and maybe some lick bricks? What have you guys found that deer like and gets them there fast and holds em?

· Registered
3,390 Posts
An acre is approximately the size of a football field. An acre is actually 70 yards x 70 yards. So, when you think about it you only basically use an acre when bow hunting from a tree stand - a 35 yard circle around your stand. It only takes one acre to kill a deer. I own 243 acres, but I have certain spots that I hunt over and over because the deer like those areas.

Plus, the hunt club guys will probably push deer to you. I definitely would hunt the 10 acre spot. Why not?

· Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
An acre is approximately the size of a football field. An acre is actually 70 yards x 70 yards. So, when you think about it you only basically use an acre when bow hunting from a tree stand - a 35 yard circle around your stand. It only takes one acre to kill a deer. I own 243 acres, but I have certain spots that I hunt over and over because the deer like those areas.

Plus, the hunt club guys will probably push deer to you. I definitely would hunt the 10 acre spot. Why not?
valid assessment. im sure theres some decent pressure in that club and theres 0 pressure on that 10 right now

· Registered
4,519 Posts
Buddy of mine has 10 acres that borders a hunting club and has been seeing a few deer behind his house and says i should come shoot one. 10 acres is kinda small in terms of hunting land and my concern would be tracking wounded deer that make it to the club . The deer also appear to just be passing through his area,usually around 3am. I scoped it out just to see and wasnt real impressed as far as deer sign...a few indications of common travel trails but not real heavy use. What you guys think?
I'm hunting 10 acres now and whats just passing through are a couple beasts. Almost had 1 friday night. Hunt it. You'll be surprised.

· Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm hunting 10 acres now and whats just passing through are a couple beasts. Almost had 1 friday night. Hunt it. You'll be surprised.
I can say with certainty that there will be no beasts passing through but a doe or 2 for the freezer is plenty good enough for me...who knows,i might just get surprised and a nice buck rolls through...at least nice for this area.

· Registered
4,519 Posts
I can say with certainty that there will be no beasts passing through but a doe or 2 for the freezer is plenty good enough for me...who knows,i might just get surprised and a nice buck rolls through...at least nice for this area.
Maybe so. But ive bumped some really nice bucks out some very small places. Now I'm always watchful of little spots.

· Registered
2,102 Posts
I'm hunting a 10 acre property this season and have had a lot of deer movement on the property. I was a little concerned initially about retrieving deer as the property is long and skinny so if the deer runs north/south they could get off the property fairly quickly. After scouting I spoke with my uncle who owns the property and he got me in touch with the neighbors. In talking to them I was able to secure retrieval access on the 10 acres property to the south, the guy immediately to the north actually did one better and gave me permission to hunt his property, and then I got retrieval access to the 10 acres on the property to the north of the neighbors. So now I've got 20 acres to hunt plus already secured retrieval access on 10 acres on either side of it. Never hurts to talk to a few people and ask politely :teeth:

· Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm hunting a 10 acre property this season and have had a lot of deer movement on the property. I was a little concerned initially about retrieving deer as the property is long and skinny so if the deer runs north/south they could get off the property fairly quickly. After scouting I spoke with my uncle who owns the property and he got me in touch with the neighbors. In talking to them I was able to secure retrieval access on the 10 acres property to the south, the guy immediately to the north actually did one better and gave me permission to hunt his property, and then I got retrieval access to the 10 acres on the property to the north of the neighbors. So now I've got 20 acres to hunt plus already secured retrieval access on 10 acres on either side of it. Never hurts to talk to a few people and ask politely :teeth:
thats awesome! unfortunately for me,the only other land around is that club and if i ask them for hunt permission they will say sure thing for X amount a year. retrieval shouldn't be an issue though. fairly small town where every body knows everybody.

· Registered
1,859 Posts
I'd hunt it but do yourself a favor and talk to the hunting club about recovering a deer off their property ahead of time. Some guys say go ahead, so want a call, some want to be along. Just work that our ahead of time.

I just did this over the weekend. Found a good spot on some public land to that's pretty close to some private. Stopped by his place told him where I intended on hunting and arranged something for possible recovery.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.