Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fraying under the nocking point. I am assuming my arm guard is tearing it up. Would you replace it? This is a 2 month old bow.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I would have replaced it before it got to this point.

Have a longer center serving served onto your next string and/or consider shortening your draw length to prevent having the next one wear out so fast.

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are the stings 2 months old as well? Do you wax em and rub the wax into the string with friction?
If it were me I'd replace em.
I wax them after every shoot. Bow is brand new. 2 months old. But this started about a week after i got it. It looks fine when waxed but after 60 shots or so it looks like this. I have since shortened my draw and do not get slapped on the wrist any longer. Good idea on the longer center serving Don!

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
The archery gods are not smiling on you my friend. I am not sure what's worse, the strings or your broken sight.
Replace them and Dan had a good suggestion to avoid this problem in the future.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'd definitely replace it. How many total shots do you have through it? I'm just wondering since it's only 2 months old, could the strings be replaced under warranty?

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
warranty not likely to cover wear on a string, you can check but dotn hold your breath.. you need to figure out why your hitting your arm so badly and fix that problem when you get a new string asap!

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
warranty not likely to cover wear on a string, you can check but dont hold your breath.. you need to figure out why your hitting your arm so badly and fix that problem when you get a new string asap!

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
yeah the string hitting you is a bigger concern right now but yeah its time to start with figuring what color combo you wanna replace with. heck my string didnt even look that bad after a whole year of shooting and hunting alot and mine rubs on lower half below serving while carrying and such all year.

·
AIM SMALL-MISS SMALL!!
5,277 Posts
I would have replaced it before it got to this point.

Have a longer center serving served onto your next string and/or consider shortening your draw length to prevent having the next one wear out so fast.
x2 and keep with the wax although I dont do it every time I do every other week. Or 400-600 shots

·
Registered
831 Posts
yes ditch those strings asap!

·
Registered
50,332 Posts
Not doubt replace them-----warranty-----not going to happen it is a wearable item. The reason is not the fault of the string and cable workmanship that is abuse or an incorrectly set bow to you. You took the first step by shortening your draw length----too long of a draw causes that arm slap and the wear in that area. Next you need to work on your grip or it will happen again----work on how you hold your bow.If you learn the proper way to hold a bow even a long draw you can keep the arm and wrist out of the way(not correct but it can be done).

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
If it will give you some form of relief, then change the thing. It's in pretty bad shape over all.

Then use some of Dales advice.

·
Registered
23,220 Posts
Agree that it is not a warranty issue because the string should not repeatedly be hitting your arm. Secondly, I would get a new set on order and make sure your form and setup is worked out so it doesn't happen again. I shoot JBK strings (not a "staff shooter") and have been impressed with the quality of Omen's work. Nothing will ruin your day (and potentially your bow) like a bad string. Possibly wax that area before replacing and keep them as an emergency backup.....

·
World & National Champion
33,999 Posts
If you shoot alot I'd replace them. If you just shoot a little I'd wax it up good and put some serving over the bad spot.

·
Registered
50,332 Posts
If you shoot alot I'd replace them. If you just shoot a little I'd wax it up good and put some serving over the bad spot.
I wouldn't suggest this. Those are broken stands. By serving over them your masking the problem and could possibly create a situation where you cannot see more strands breaking and causing a broken string then you could have a potential problem of costing more than just a string and cable.

·
Registered
17,770 Posts
correct the issue with contacting your arm before replacing or you will just have another beat up string, i would wax it up correct the form issue and forget about it.

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
warranty not likely to cover wear on a string, you can check but dotn hold your breath.. you need to figure out why your hitting your arm so badly and fix that problem when you get a new string asap!
DL was too long. I went from 32" to 31" and no longer have an arm slap issue. The damage to the string was from my arm guard on the first few days of shooting. I probably have 9,000-10,000 shots through it by now. I dont think its a warranty thing. I would not even ask since i know it was hitting my arm guard.

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
Absolutely, shouldn't even need an armguard.

Kev
<><

1 - 20 of 38 Posts