Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I did in 1985 with a rifle. He was laying in a thicket that I could see down into from about 15 feet up a tree on a hill over looking the cut over bottom. I had no idea he was bedded down until after I had played it out in my mind with one of my Uncles talking me through it. If the situation was to ever present itself to me now with a bow or firearm, I would wait until the deer stood up. That's just what was imbedded in me after that. Interesting question and thanks for asking.

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Yep! All day long. :darkbeer:

·
BIG FRANK....
8,511 Posts
Of Course.Meat on the table.They taste the same bedded or not..

·
Registered
774 Posts
why not? fair chase is fair chase. It's less ethical, but legal in Ohio, to shoot them off a pile of corn in my book.

watched a bedded yearling for two hours and got tired of waiting for it to get up before i let a arrow fly. not just bedded but sound asleep.

shot a wounded shed buck during gun season that was going to let me walk by. had a busted arrow in its rear hip. surprised yotes hadn't run him down.

shot a wounded doe bedded in a thicket of briars when I was a teen.

if they are bedded and let you get close, there is usually a reason.

·
Registered
Mathews Triax
367 Posts
Yes sir, all day every day. No different than those that chose to shoot them standing in front of a feeder... if you can get close enough to not spook them, you have a leg up on them, and might as well use that to your advantage.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Have and yes I would do it again

·
Registered
13,128 Posts
Hell yea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
BowhunterT100
6,538 Posts
Absolutely!

·
Registered
24,117 Posts
Its not like a turkey on the roost or a game animal impeded by deep water.....but such decisions are up to the game regulations and the internal compass of the individual hunter. Just last night I watched a TV hunting show where a guy shot a mountain goat that was bedded.....and a long shot at that.

Several years ago I was pursuing a particular buck that I had only seen in glimpses at dusk.....just knew from rubs and such that he was pretty nice. Just prior to our firearms opener, I decided to give it one more try and snuck into a thicket along a drainage that he liked. I dug into a clump of trees with my recurve and spied a bedded deer not 75 yards from me. After watching for a time, I decided that I was going to try a sneak and see what happened. Nocking an arrow, I was ready to shoot and wired like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs at every step. If he didn't stand up, I was fully ready to shoot him lying down......but it never got that far as he was stone cold dead.....got hit by a vehicle and made it to the thicket on sheer will.

·
Liv4Rut
7,332 Posts
I shot one bedded once. He came in and bedded about 15 yards away perfectly. He went about 40 yards. Was pretty cool.

I shot another good buck with my muzz that came in and bedded about 75 yards away. He never got up from his bed. That was neat too.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts