Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that Big Game season is over it's time to start tinkering and getting things squared away for next season. One thing I have been considering is switching to aluminum arrows for elk next season. Right now I'm shooting Beman ICS 340's and they're coming in at about 445 grains with 125 grain Slick Trick Magnums. I have never had a problem getting them to fly great but I think I would like to shoot something closer to 500 grains for better penetration and a quieter shot. What are your thoughts on making the switch??

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Why don't you get the best of both worlds and shoot Easton FMJ's? Could still get you around 500 grains.

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
I've been doing it for years. They are way cheaper just as straight and I have never seen a picture of a guy with an exploded aluminum arrow through his bow hand. I am shooting 2315 XX78 with 100 gr magnus stinger, about 496 gr if I remember right, out of a mathews conquest 4 at 65 pounds and it's silent. I'm only getting about 245 fps but I have T-Rex arms that leave me with a 27.5" draw and I have killed plenty of game with less that 200 fps out of my trad gear.
I bought the last dozen shafts off AT for $60 TMD, show me a carbon arrow you can buy for that. And like I mentioned before they don't crack and blow up. Ya, I'm paranoid about carbons blowing up, probably over paranoid but...

·
Registered
656 Posts
its been done for allot of years. my only beefs with aluminum are the sounds they make against brush & the possibility of getting bent. theres times ive hunted elk & mule deer where i crawled for hours litterally! last thing id want is to nock a bent arrow at the moment of truth & miss or even worse wound. imo carbon is the only way to go for hunting. straight or broken no third direction.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I shot XX78 2219's for about 15 years and they worked great. If I ever shoot a .340 spine I'll probably use them again.

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
the possibility of getting bent. theres times ive hunted elk & mule deer where i crawled for hours litterally! last thing id want is to nock a bent arrow at the moment of truth & miss or even worse wound.
I hear you on the bent arrow, but id rather have a bent one then cracked one and have it blow up in my hand who knows how far out in the woods. Like I said I'm probably over paranoid about that. I am just careful about my arrows and they don't bend as easy as many that haven't used them think.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
easton camo axis 340, 10.3gpi?? 75 grain brass insert, 125 grain BH, you will be gettin close to 500gr depending on length. You could do this and add a firenock 1/2 outsert 29.5gr and be over 550gr easy.

I know of a guy that shoots the above arrow in 29" and LOVES them, hit like a train and plow through anything he shoots.

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
FMJ or FMJ injextions. Shoot the best of both worlds. I shoot the injexion FMJ with VAP Penetrator II outserts and 125gr head. Arrow comes in 498gr. More durable than straight aluminum and better tolerances. Could go with a FMJ dangerous game and really get the weight up if you wish.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I would shoot xx75s again if I started shooting a recurve. Not sure why people still think they need to shoot heavy arrows, modern bows generate more energy than ever before. I would much rather shoot a fast and flat arrow incase I have to guess yardage... 5yds makes a big difference when you're guessing yds

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Never shot anything else.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I'd have no problem shooting & hunting elk with aluminum shafts! I've taken many critters with them & never had a failure that I'm aware of. Carbon is tougher especially for stumping around but aluminum served many of us very well for years! I like the idea of tough arrows these days but would have no issues using aluminum again.

ElkNut1

·
THE ORIGINAL
9,186 Posts
They make an excellent choice for Elk, but as stated above there are some smaller diameter options to make weight.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Actually aluminum makes a better hunting arrow than carbon does. I've used both a bunch and have come to find that the good aluminum is superior to carbon for hunting . Im not talking about the cheap ones but X7 s are straighter And more consistant than carbon and in my experience I along with some other guys I know have found you will get less internal glances with aluminum than with carbon. Also I definalty found that the aluminum does better with the bigger broadheads

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
My dad just last year switched from aluminum to carbons. He shot them for 30+ yrs and took more elk than I can for sure say. Yeah they will be fine.

·
Registered
239 Posts
They sure do sound cool as they skip off rocks! :confused: I shot them for a few years out of my older bows, they always hit like a freight train, and would blow right through and just keep on going! Only reason I switched was I got hooked on that whole whisker biscuit craze when they first came out and didn't like the sound of aluminum dragging across the bristles.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Sure would. I've killed elk, deer, turkey, and bear(1) with aluminum. Remember the days of the "over draw"? Cutting that length way down for more speed. Lol..To know then what I know now! Aluminum has a great spine(consistent), even better than carbon IMO, but I got tired of straightening arrows. Same thing with carbon/aluminum, they bend. If I was to regress in arrows, I would just go back to shooting a stick.

·
Sponge 4 bowhunting info
11,112 Posts
easton camo axis 340, 10.3gpi?? 75 grain brass insert, 125 grain BH, you will be gettin close to 500gr depending on length. You could do this and add a firenock 1/2 outsert 29.5gr and be over 550gr easy.

I know of a guy that shoots the above arrow in 29" and LOVES them, hit like a train and plow through anything he shoots.
^^^This is my choice too.^^^

1 - 20 of 32 Posts