Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I passed up a shot this fall on a deer that was basically right under me, facing away, and calm. I've done the same in the past. I couldn't figure out where to aim. Pick 1 lung, or aim dead center at the spine and hope for the best? I know the exit would be directly low so it would bleed well, but this didn't seem like a shot I wanted to take so I never even considered it. But, I've seen several other people talking about harvesting deer describing this shot. I am really strict on what shot angles I will consider taking with a bow, but am I too conservative considering modern equipment?

Would you / have you taken that shot?

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not me---wait until the deer walks off 10yds or so--
That's what I've always done. And the deer never turned far enough broadside for my liking, so I let them walk. No worries on my part- that means I get to hunt another day.

·
Registered
184 Posts
You did the ethical thing. Unfortunately it didn't lead to a better shot and meat in the freezer but good on you.

·
Registered
I don’t hunt for the sport I hunt for the meat
25,398 Posts
Nope right underneath. U did the right thing. Let go if it angles out fine but straight away is only single lung

·
Team #12 - 2009 Winners!!
10,149 Posts
Aim for spine and forward, get one lung and go through the heart. I have never had this shot go bad for me and I have taken it a couple times

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Had the same scenario last year, waited for it to turn, finally did and let the arrow fly. hit a branch, missed low. My dad kept telling me he would have shot it straight down and spined it, I just kept saying I wanted to have a better shot... still haunts me ha

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Aim for spine and forward, get one lung and go through the heart. I have never had this shot go bad for me and I have taken it a couple times
This is basically what I have heard a couple of times recently that made me wonder if that is actually a really high percentage shot. I don't think its for me though. I don't want to run the risk of a bad outcome.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Had the same scenario last year, waited for it to turn, finally did and let the arrow fly. hit a branch, missed low. My dad kept telling me he would have shot it straight down and spined it, I just kept saying I wanted to have a better shot... still haunts me ha
Spine shooting a deer is what haunts me. Had it happen once and NEVER want that to happen again.

·
Registered
8,342 Posts
Was he directly straight away or slightly angled? He was actually right under stand or roughly 5-10 feet from tree?

Coming soon... Sethro's Custom Paints

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Spine shooting a deer is what haunts me. Had it happen once and NEVER want that to happen again.
I should clarify, missing the shot haunts me. I am ok with passing on a spine shot, I don't want to hunt that way. I've heard the noises they make after that and its not fun at all..

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
I have had those shots also but like you I never take the shot and sometimes I never get a shot. I am also picky with shot angles...

·
Registered
11,944 Posts
i have passed on shots like this, see no reason not to wait for better one.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Was he directly straight away or slightly angled? He was actually right under stand or roughly 5-10 feet from tree?
Both distances. Could have dropped an arrown in its rump for a few minutes. Then it slowly browsed straight away from me before getting out of range.

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,539 Posts
I've killed many deer inside of 6-7 yards from 25+ feet up. BUT I've also had many deer that I couldn't or wouldn't shoot that close. When shooting close to straight down there is a small "perfect" kill zone so it does take more preparation and careful attention to details. A deer facing pretty much straight away is an easy shot.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts