Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hunting buddy arrowed the 8 pointer that had been hanging around my stand... probablem is he hit it severly low (just caught the very bottom of the chest behind the front leg)..... :mad: Well, we went tracking about 1 1/2 hours later and after about 1/4 mile we loose the 1-2 drop blood trail that we had been following..... searched some more in a radius pattern but he clotted up was no where to be found..... :mad: I have to think he most likely lived for another day.

My question is.... If this buck survived, will this buck return to his stomping grounds and trails or will he head for new territory?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
My guess is...Hell no....would you? You may have to pattern him again..find his feeding ground, bedding, etc...just an opinion though...WOW...bet that sucked too!

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
He's hurt so he is going to hold up and heal. He isn't going to work the areas he worked before, he is on the DL for the season. He'll probably frequent the thick stuff until the rut hits. Depending on his condition, he'll become more visible then, but as stated before he'll have a different "pattern". Of course I am not a deer, just speculating.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
He probably wont leave the country, but I would bet you will have to relocate him.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Once the rut kicks in if he isn’t hurt mortally he will chase till he drops. Testosterone is a strong driving force.

·
Registered
10,654 Posts
He will go to a sanctuary.

One-shot said:
My hunting buddy arrowed the 8 pointer that had been hanging around my stand... probablem is he hit it severly low (just caught the very bottom of the chest behind the front leg)..... :mad: Well, we went tracking about 1 1/2 hours later and after about 1/4 mile we loose the 1-2 drop blood trail that we had been following..... searched some more in a radius pattern but he clotted up was no where to be found..... :mad: I have to think he most likely lived for another day.

My question is.... If this buck survived, will this buck return to his stomping grounds and trails or will he head for new territory?

Thickest crap one can find, locate an area like that and he will more then likely show again during the rut. Good hunting.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I believe he will stay in his CORE area.

The place he knows best and feels safest in.I also believe he will become 99% nocturnal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts