Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been shooting for only 4 months. I shot my first 3-D shoot a month 1/2 ago. This weekend I scored my personal best at 371 (40 target course, FHC) and bullseyed 2 steel bucks! I'm pumped! My husband sais I should seriously consider becoming more serious about my shooting. He sais I have potential. Is he blowing smoke up my rear? I could use some feedback from some "pros". thanks!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I am no pro but

I have been shooting 3-d for a little while and I say go for it. What is the fun in not trying to be the best you can be. I feel the more you shoot the more you'll want to. Plus shooting againt others is a whole lot of fun anyhow. Good luck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! I'll clarify, a "pro" to me is anyone that has been shooting a while and that knows more than me, which doesn't take too much! LOL Any feedback is great!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have shot archery for 29 years, been up/down in scores. You will have great an not so great days, but the main thing is to have fun with it! All the friends you will meet is priceless!! To answer your question, that is some really GREAT shooting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep up the shooting,and besides you are doing it with your best friend!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Congrats on the fine score. You should go out a shoot more in my opinion. Remember though it is all about having fun. I shot alot of 3D this past year and I had a wonderful time and met some great people.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i just started 3D and my first ever 3D shoot i scored 206 out of 336 i don't think it's too bad since i had no clue how far the targets were in most places

·
Registered
145 Posts
Once you get into 3-d you will find it is addicting. I look at the National staffs and picture myself their. I know it will take alot of practice and shooting but it will be worth it when you have reached your goal. But as many have said it is a blast to meet people, hear stories, and just have fun doing what we love. Good shooting and good luck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're right, I've met some really nice people. I met my local competition also over the weekend! She was really nice and unfortunately broke her arm so she couldn't shoot over the weekend. I'm glad I got to meet her and get some words of wisdom from her. I have enjoyed all of you giving me your words of wisdom as well, thanks!

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
if you spend say 2 hours a day shooting, i wouldn't go less than 1 hour on practicing yardage or maybe the same amount. take a rangefinder with you on a neighborhood walk and guess the yardage from you to anything...

power poles, cars, people, animals, cemetery headstones, anything. I have a cementery just up the road from me which i use alot when judging yardage as many headstones are roughly the same size as targets that we shoot. when you can match the rangefinder exactly or one yard off 10 to 20 times in a row you will go far in 3-d.

another idea when practicing is when you can keep a 3 inch group or better say at 30 yards with 3 arrows, go to 40. 4 inch group w/3 arrrows, go to 50. the farther you shoot , the easier the closer targets will be after time.

in the end the best thing is knowing what you body can handle. if you can only shoot 20 arrows in a row before you get tired, chill out for awhile. prolonged shooting along with skydrawing can lead to injury in time.

i could go on forever on this, have fun.

Lee

·
Registered
21 Posts
Glad to hear it. My wife and I went to a shoot in AR and she shot her best ever bringing home the first place plaque. We have been shooting since april this year. She changed to back tension and loves it. Keep up the good work and lets get more women to shoot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts