Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to say, I was at DICK's killing time while the honey shopped in other stores. Pretty much all they had was "junk" accessories and 7-10 bows. I saw a few with no ties so I was able to draw them back. Two of them that fit me, really were big surprises. Not that I am really looking for a new bow or anything. But if I was, I would have no problem with owning either one of them as my ONLY bow. I never bought a "cheap" bow before, but those few moments at DICK's has me thinking I might. Cabela's had ties on every bow when I was last there, but I would imagine there are a few really solid "cheapies" there too. One thing I DO KNOW is I will NOT be buying any $900.00 bows from MATHEWS/HOYT/PSE/BOWTECH ever again! Well if inflation hits, I might be spending $900.00. But then the aforementioned will be somewhere around $13hundred-16hundred:shade:

I was really shocked by how the one felt in my hand. If I had "money to blow", I would have walked out with one :shocked:

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure

to be honest, I was so disinterested to begin with, I don't even know. I think the one I really liked was a MARTIN. I f I heard or better yet"saw" the name, I would remember!

·
Banned
1,744 Posts
Buy a good $1000 bow on at used for $500 when it is 2 years old. Can't beat that with a stick.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Probably martin and bear. You buy what you can afford, simple as that.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I paid $800 for my Mathews Reezen out the door. I wait for deals like "Last years model".

·
Registered
281 Posts
dicks has alot of bear bows. I got my dad a bear element for about 180 and don't regret it one bit. very nice bow, shoot really well. kinda hard to spend a bunch of money on something when your not sure if they are gonna like it. kinda wish I picked up another but got a ross from dathook instead. not sorry there either.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Quest Bows made by G5 are in department/ catalog stores and are a super bow at any price (and pro shops too). They start at $399 and top out at $729 and any of them are built to the same kind of quality and craftsmanship as a $899+ Hoyt, Mathews etc.... if not better. If you can get past being in the "in crowd" and having to have the name Mathews, Hoyt or Bowtech on the back of your truck window, there a few great bows out there that don't cost so darn much you need to try!

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Quest Bows made by G5 are in department/ catalog stores and are a super bow at any price (and pro shops too). They start at $399 and top out at $729 and any of them are built to the same kind of quality and craftsmanship as a $899+ Hoyt, Mathews etc.... if not better. If you can get past being in the "in crowd" and having to have the name Mathews, Hoyt or Bowtech on the back of your truck window, there a few great bows out there that don't cost so darn much you need to try!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
realization

Yeah, I found that out today "big time". One thing I noticed though is the high quality, low price tag bows on the market all seem to be of that lousy short AtA type. They are marketed to hunters because for some dumb reason, many have the belief that short AtA bows are "better":rolleyes: for hunting!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yeah, I found that out today "big time". One thing I noticed though is the high quality, low price tag bows on the market all seem to be of that lousy short AtA type. They are marketed to hunters because for some dumb reason, many have the belief that short AtA bows are "better":rolleyes: for hunting!
Many, but not everybody. ;)

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
You guys steal that stupid tv ad ?

Wow thats cheap, I knowww.

·
Registered
67 Posts
cheap bows

I think you should get what you can afford comfortably, Set it up right, and learn how to shoot it accuratly. I just recently switched from trad bows back to compounds due to med reasons. The cheaper trad bows shot as good as the more expensive bows, It all boiled down to the shooter. Archery seems sometimes like golf, were you are always hunting the holy grail in drivers.
I went with a bear bow , I like it for the money.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I paid $800 for my Mathews Reezen out the door. I wait for deals like "Last years model".
I guess I got a good deal when I bought my Z7 for $725.00!:D
Got $50.00 off because of a "Christmas" special sale.
Worked for me!!!

·
Registered
12,018 Posts
I just wanted to say, I was at DICK's killing time while the honey shopped in other stores. Pretty much all they had was "junk" accessories and 7-10 bows. I saw a few with no ties so I was able to draw them back. Two of them that fit me, really were big surprises. Not that I am really looking for a new bow or anything. But if I was, I would have no problem with owning either one of them as my ONLY bow. I never bought a "cheap" bow before, but those few moments at DICK's has me thinking I might. Cabela's had ties on every bow when I was last there, but I would imagine there are a few really solid "cheapies" there too. One thing I DO KNOW is I will NOT be buying any $900.00 bows from MATHEWS/HOYT/PSE/BOWTECH ever again! Well if inflation hits, I might be spending $900.00. But then the aforementioned will be somewhere around $13hundred-16hundred:shade:

I was really shocked by how the one felt in my hand. If I had "money to blow", I would have walked out with one :shocked:
The first brand new bow I ever bought back in 2005 was a Hoyt Ultramag at Lancaster Archery Supply. It was a $400 bow when most top line bows were over $700. Lancaster is a great place to buy a bow! Bow (complete), 6 arrows, release, hard case, quiver... Just over $700 out the door. Lees expensive bows can be very good shooters. I still have that bow, shoot it regularly, and don't see myself selling it off. With that said, I also have a new Maxxis 31 on order, and can't wait to get it.:shade:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Lots of good bows an the market for under 500 bucks. I think the biggest change in equipment the last few years is parrallel limbs. If you're using the older style limbs you should try a newer model. Even the lower end bows shoot faster and smoother than just a few years ago.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts