Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey.. i just went to gold tip and checked th FOC on my arrows.. i found it was at 16%?? thats with my 125grain broadheads?? if i go to 100 grain its like 13.5%?? what can i do?? will it effect my flight much?? i'm pretty much done shooting spots for a while until i can aford a new bow.. i can start bear hunting monday.. any sugestions or comments??
thanks Justin

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
shouldn't be a problem-aluminum target arrows usually have an FOC between 7-9%-carbon arrows go a bit higher.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
A lot of people doubt the importance of FOC anyway. When the arrow is in flight, the aerodynamic forces far exceed the effects of static balance measured as FOC. Fletching, blade configuration, and shaft diameter are more important for flight stability.

Scott

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
You can have a negative FOC (center of balance behind geometric center) and still have flight stability. Conversely, you can have a very high FOC and have the arrow turn around.

Make an arrow with a heavy field point, then put large, strongly helical vanes near the point. Very large FOC, but it will turn around and go nock first.

One main thing that determines flight stability is "center of drag," which needs to be rearward. Bummer is that this is almost impossible to calculate.

FOC is what we have available, but it only has meaning for comparing arows with otherwise identical aerodynamic properties.

Unfortunately, you just have to test, especially with broadheads, if you want to find the minimum for stability. Probably the best it to use a large helical vane that will stabilize pretty much anything.

Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts