Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I take my speed/efficiency setup to the Sherwood Forest Bowmen’s annual shoot every year to test bows. Last year and the year before, Mathews bows could not be topped for speed, efficiency. This year it was BowTech. The assassin and Destroyer were very impressive. I have always thought the Bowtechs were the quietest and that has not changed. The top 3 fastest bow were all Bowtech with one destroyer set at 69 pounds with a 6 grain per pound of draw arrow using a 100 grain tip sent an arrow at 312 fps. When we tried a 75 grain tip, he was 327 FPS. A 220 grain head produced 285 FPS and got 81 foot pounds of KE.

As in most years, people are shooting on the low side of arrow weight (between 5.5 to 6.5 grains per pound of draw weight) There were a few guys in the 8 and 9 grain range and they consistently had the quieter and more efficient setups. Again, everybody coming through the door insisted they have to shoot 100 grain heads and that 125 is way too heavy. (advertising is powerful) after experimenting with 75, 100, 125, 150 and 220 grain heads they understood that their KE, momentum and efficiency (penetration) went way up with an increased tip weight as did their FOC (which equal better flight stability) with little loss in speed, they started to rethink the 100 grain broadhead market and began thinking heavier.

I tested 82 different bow setups in the two days (up from last year) and asked everyone what broadhead they planned to hunt with. There was a noticeable change in head choices. Last year, everybody said Rage. This year, Montech and Muzzy were the most mentioned. This year, people seemed more prepared and nobody hit my chronograph.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,273 Posts
I take my speed/efficiency setup to the Sherwood Forest Bowmen’s annual shoot every year to test bows. Last year and the year before, Mathews bows could not be topped for speed, efficiency. This year it was BowTech. The assassin and Destroyer were very impressive. I have always thought the Bowtechs were the quietest and that has not changed. The top 3 fastest bow were all Bowtech with one destroyer set at 69 pounds with a 6 grain per pound of draw arrow using a 100 grain tip sent an arrow at 312 fps. When we tried a 75 grain tip, he was 327 FPS. A 220 grain head produced 285 FPS and got 81 foot pounds of KE.

As in most years, people are shooting on the low side of arrow weight (between 5.5 to 6.5 grains per pound of draw weight) There were a few guys in the 8 and 9 grain range and they consistently had the quieter and more efficient setups. Again, everybody coming through the door insisted they have to shoot 100 grain heads and that 125 is way too heavy. (advertising is powerful) after experimenting with 75, 100, 125, 150 and 220 grain heads they understood that their KE, momentum and efficiency (penetration) went way up with an increased tip weight as did their FOC (which equal better flight stability) with little loss in speed, they started to rethink the 100 grain broadhead market and began thinking heavier.

I tested 82 different bow setups in the two days (up from last year) and asked everyone what broadhead they planned to hunt with. There was a noticeable change in head choices. Last year, everybody said Rage. This year, Montech and Muzzy were the most mentioned. This year, people seemed more prepared and nobody hit my chronograph.
I learned that lesson years ago in the field but it will fall on deaf ears right now as advertising (like you said) is pushing everyone in the other direction. It’s really entertaining to watch folks try to re-write physics in an attempt to disprove this…..

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
wow, I just did a gpi calc on my Guardian at 70#...WITH a 125 gr head?

I'm at 15.8 gpi
with NO head?

I'm at 11.4 gpi. Yep, I shoot either a 100 or 125 gr head. Total weight with 125 is 450gr ttl.

·
Banned
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow, I just did a gpi calc on my Guardian at 70#...WITH a 125 gr head?

I'm at 15.8 gpi
with NO head?

I'm at 11.4 gpi. Yep, I shoot either a 100 or 125 gr head. Total weight with 125 is 450gr ttl.
You are confusing Grains per inch of arrow length with what I am talking about. I am talking about grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight of the bow. They are very different things. You are at 6.4 Gr/Lbs with your setup.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Please tell us what about the Assassin impressed you, was it speed alone?

·
Premium Member
5,209 Posts
With my Guardian I am shooting 7.9 grains/# draw weight....funny I have had it for 4 years and I still have no idea what the FPS is, thanks for the info.

·
Banned
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please tell us what about the Assassin impressed you, was it speed alone?
No, not just speed but vibration (lack there-of) and the lack of noise and the fit and soft finish of the bow as well as the high efficiency (KE and momentum out vs draw weight). Both the Destroyer and assassin were well constructed and made for what I would consider a very good bowhunting package. The Bear Carnage also impressed. All performed best at 9 grains (arrow weight) per pound of draw weight. By performed best I am speaking in terms of efficiency, noise, penetration. Mathews makes some great bows with the Z series and also do well with a heavier arrow but the total package went to the Bowtech line. We will be testing hundreds of bows in a few weeks at the Wisconsin Bowhunters Assoc annual broadhead shoot where hunting archers will put their bows through the tests. Efficiency (KE and MO vs draw weight is continuing to climb steadily. What used to be a .8 factor has grown to .85 and now 1.0+ is becoming the norm. This year it was the bowtech bows that were consistently 1.0+ when in the past they were 3rd to Mathews and Hoyt.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
You are confusing Grains per inch of arrow length with what I am talking about. I am talking about grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight of the bow. They are very different things. You are at 6.4 Gr/Lbs with your setup.
whoops, u r right, I'll blame it on Monday

·
Registered
94 Posts
I bought a Bowtech Assassin this year and love it. Especially for the price point. At $600 it comes loaded with good servicable accessories. You would be double the price after decking out a Z7, and that is what sold me on the Assassin. Nothing wrong with the Z7 but when I was shooting both of them trying to decide which one to go with I couldn't bring myself to spend double for a bow that was as comfortable and shot great. JMO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts