Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
New Kid
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any particular reason why arrow wraps are vinyl? Is there any reason why they couldn't be made of some other material?

I know that the NAP and Easton Quick-fletch products must be made of some type of heat-shrink PVC or PET.

Avery makes a "weatherproof" shipping label on which I could (laser) print a custom design. They are made of a polyester material, according to the website.
http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Pr...nnel=c042fd03ab30a110VgnVCM1000002118140aRCRD

Any reason why those labels wouldn't work as arrow wraps?

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
If you have the time and patience, or desire to "do it yourself" give it a shot. However, having manufactured arrow wraps and working with pvc vinyl for over 10 years here's my 2 cents...

1. Most likely the material you noted is a heavier and thicker material than the 2mil material I use at Backwoods Brand. Good for address labels; bad for arrow wraps. Unless of course you need weight added to the nock end of your arrows.
2. PVC vinyl comes in many different grades, and different manufacturing processes, believe it or not... there really is a lot of variance. Some is made to withstand only temporary use, therefore more prone to shrinkage, cracking, peeling out in the sun and varying temperatures. Our material is the highest grade cast pvc which means this will NOT happen.
3. Will your laser toner fade in the sun? Maybe so, maybe not... I use solvent inks that are made for outdoor durability, no fading.
4. Aside from the cost of the material and shipping, consider how much time you'll invest designing, printing, cutting them by hand etc. My wraps run $10-15 per dozen, shipped... and I do all the work so you don't have to :)

Hope that helps give some insight! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Vinyl is the common material used in arrow wraps because it sticks well and is readily available. It is used extensively in the sign building world and as mentioned above there are multiple grades of vinyl quality. It has been co-opted to the purpose of arrow wraps from the sign industry. the coating that is on the Avery label that allows you to print on them may not hold up the being glued or taking impacts. The only way you'll know is to try it.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
Is there any particular reason why arrow wraps are vinyl? Is there any reason why they couldn't be made of some other material?

I know that the NAP and Easton Quick-fletch products must be made of some type of heat-shrink PVC or PET.

Avery makes a "weatherproof" shipping label on which I could (laser) print a custom design. They are made of a polyester material, according to the website.
http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Pr...nnel=c042fd03ab30a110VgnVCM1000002118140aRCRD

Any reason why those labels wouldn't work as arrow wraps?
I can't answer your question, but would pose another question to you; Why not vinyl? You can get a lifetime supply of scraps at your local sign shop just for the asking. I've use 3M and ScotchCal with excellent results.

If you want to spend your money buying a different material than what you can have for free, that's your choice.

Best of luck to you.

·
Vendor
4,458 Posts
We'll be happy to send you some samples to play around with so you can determine the benefits for yourself. Just shoot me an email at [email protected] and include your shipping address. We use a variety of vinyls for the best results for each application...tried and true with a money back guarantee.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I would take Onestringer up on his offer. I have used his for years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts