Archery Talk Forum banner

Wrist Release Recommendation

1906 Views 26 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  dnhnsly440
Looking for a good wrist release. I started out with an old Tru Fire but even screwed all the way in on adjustment, the trigger was still further out than I care for. So I went from that to a Carter Wise Choice. I like the handheld, but to be honest the damn thing has slipped out of my hand twice now, the 1st time it broke a carbon tube on my 1 day old Tight Spot (shoutout to Tight Spot for getting that fixed for me!) so I think I want to back to a wrist release.

I’d like something that fits my hand better I’m a mess/large on gloves. I’d also like something with some adjustability in the trigger. My favorite thing about the Carter is that it’s a clean break at the same point each time.

Any ideas or am I asking too much?
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Oh dang. Ive had mine for several years or more. Glad I bought a second for back up in case I lost one in the field.

I've just very recently switched to a thumb release so haven't been looking. I'm sure someone else can chime in. If the thumb release works out I may have a like new Mongoose for sale. LOL

· Registered
311 Posts
If you want a release that can get the trigger closer to your palm (my hands are on the smaller side) you could get one with a web connector. Both Spot Hogg (wiseguy nylon) and Stan (Xtinction 2) make a web connector version. I owned the Stan Xtinction 2. It's a fantastic release in every way that mattered to me. I just didn't like having something strapped to my wrist in the heat and I kept punching the trigger when I was tired. I have shot with the Spot Hogg, but not long enough to put it through its paces; didn't really tinker with it. I'm sure quite a few guys on the forum here could give you good feedback on the Spot Hogg.

· Back Yard Champion
35,947 Posts
I have the old Scott Mongoose and just great at it's shortest length. The Little Goose is supposed to be a smaller version of the Mongoose. So I'd think the length could be shortened for the trigger.

And then you letting your thumb release slip is your fault. Correct whatever it is. Fingers should always be properly "J" hooked on the handle. I've been using hand held release since 2005 and only had my release slip twice and due to me, once when I forgot to remove the Trainer Lock pin.....

· Back Yard Champion
35,947 Posts
I have the old Scott Mongoose and just great at it's shortest length. The Little Goose is supposed to be a smaller version of the Mongoose. So I'd think the length could be shortened for the trigger.

And then you letting your thumb release slip is your fault. Correct whatever it is. Fingers should always be properly "J" hooked on the handle. I've been using hand held release since 2005 and only had my release slip twice and due to me, once when I forgot to remove the Trainer Lock pin.....

· Registered
Mathews V3 31
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

It was a combination of sweating (I’m in Texas) and lowering the letoff on the bow. Just went to relax for a min and it tried to takeoff on me snatching it out of my hand.

· Registered
Mathews V3 31
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you want a release that can get the trigger closer to your palm (my hands are on the smaller side) you could get one with a web connector. Both Spot Hogg (wiseguy nylon) and Stan (Xtinction 2) make a web connector version. I owned the Stan Xtinction 2. It's a fantastic release in every way that mattered to me. I just didn't like having something strapped to my wrist in the heat and I kept punching the trigger when I was tired. I have shot with the Spot Hogg, but not long enough to put it through its paces; didn't really tinker with it. I'm sure quite a few guys on the forum here could give you good feedback on the Spot Hogg.
I’m gonna check both of those out, they seem to be pretty well liked. The web may be more what I’m looking for. Thanks!

· Registered
3,852 Posts
Yeah, index style. A quick search shows that one as discontinued. Any idea which of their others would be close in specs? I’ve looked at the little goose and it doesn’t seem to be adjustable on the trigger.
Stan xtinction2 is going to be VERY hard to beat for what you want. Follow that up with a truball execute and you have 2 of the best in the industry. I personally would pick the stan because the compression button on the execute sometimes gets in the way of your shot and hits your finger and I believe it would probably slow down the release of the hook.

· Registered
22,968 Posts
If you can't find a wrist release in the Carter release line that you like then it has not been designed as yet!

Reactions: dnhnsly440

· Registered
4,423 Posts
You need to at least once try this style. Once you get the strap adjusted right you pull with a combination of both wrist and hand. It hangs in your hand at the ready at all times,very helpful for stalking. You can change hand position slightly even at full draw. As you draw back you will feel like you have command of the bow and string like never before. And you will use no part of your focus on hanging onto the release especially in conditions of cold and hot,sweaty hands etc.
I have all kinds of releases and shoot them alternately. But I shoot a Truball Max pro 4 with the vlock strap a lot. And it gets the call for most hunting.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.