Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hitting the blind tonight - Card reader- Check, Fresh batteries for camera, in correct size (AA instead of AAA) - Check, wrist release - check! These are the main items I forgot last night, my 1st night out since 4 Nov. Took a few week break due to rifle season, after too many encounters with trespassers/idiots in past few years. (I'm one of 3 that have permission to bow hunt private land, but unfortunately a few others have permission for rifle season, and some folks don't obey no trespassing signs - too many close calls, and have the holes in my blind to prove it)

Searched for my wrist release after realizing at the end of the night I didn't have it, and cannot for the life of me find my release. For several years I've used the Tru Fire Hardcore with the hook. I have the same one with the calibers, so I'm not stuck, but before I replaced the missing one I wanted opinions on a replacement. Don't know what my local shop has on hand, as they are not open Sundays, but after looking on line, I'm considering a Scott or the Truglo Detonater with side lock. I want to stick with the wrist release for hunting, and prefer the hook style. Thoughts and recommendations?

· Registered
2,658 Posts
I really like the scotts. They seem to have to best trigger to me until you get to something like a like Mike. But the like Mike has a hook instead of calipers and cost a lot more so I don't like it as well for hunting. So one of the Scots is what I would recommend, good luck in your search

· Banned
5,018 Posts
I really like the scotts. They seem to have to best trigger to me until you get to something like a like Mike. But the like Mike has a hook instead of calipers and cost a lot more so I don't like it as well for hunting. So one of the Scots is what I would recommend, good luck in your search
Why would you not recommend the hook style for hunting? I’m legitimately curious. Thanks. I have used 2 scott little gooses and still do. Kill lots of deer with them... that said, on 2 occasions i’ve had the release not open and fire my shot at bucks. (Whether my fault or not) I feel the hook may be a more reliable system. Maybe i’m wrong.

· Registered
2,658 Posts
Why would you not recommend the hook style for hunting? I’m legitimately curious. Thanks. I have used 2 scott little gooses and still do. Kill lots of deer with them... that said, on 2 occasions i’ve had the release not open and fire my shot at bucks. (Whether my fault or not) I feel the hook may be a more reliable system. Maybe i’m wrong.
I like the caliper style because i can clip it on my loop with my bow sitting in my lap, then when an deer or whatever comes in my release is already clipped securely on the d loop. It is probably just has more to do with the style of hunting a person does than anything else. If i left my bow hanging until something came on a hook style release would probably work fine as well

· Banned
5,018 Posts
I like the caliper style because i can clip it on my loop with my bow sitting in my lap, then when an deer or whatever comes in my release is already clipped securely on the d loop. It is probably just has more to do with the style of hunting a person does than anything else. If i left my bow hanging until something came on a hook style release would probably work fine as well
Thanks for the reply. I normally keep my bow hanging.

· Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually found the missing release. Right on the ground next to where I park for walking in. Still interested in a new one, but have more time to test out candidates.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

· BowtechHunter65
1,206 Posts
I have a Scot hook style release and wouldn’t trade it for anything. I have calipers, loop releases and they hang in the garage as back-ups.

Reactions: ron2714

· Registered
1,151 Posts
I had a release break on me this year but after I had buck tagged out. I’ve bought probably 5 to test out once a couple of local stores got some in. I like the hook style after using them a few years because I don’t even have to look at the hook to get it on the loop. I’ve settled on the Spot Hogg wise guy because of how crisp the trigger is. I’ve shot Scott’s a while but hated the new Freedom strap they have and wasn’t crazy about the release itself. The B3 Hawk is another I liked along with the Carter Quickie.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.