Archery Talk Forum banner

Wrist Strap Vs Thumb or Hinge

625 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  huteson2us2
Any advice on whether or not to transition away from a wrist release...considering mild to moderate arthritis in draw hand and wrist.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
608 Posts
I was concerned with my arthritis and limited motion in release wrist from a sever break in my twenty’s when considering a hinge. Decided to try a four finger. It was no problem at all. After a year cut it down to three finger. Felt good to draw but was causing my thumb joint to hurt from the arthritis in it. Took thumb barrel off. Things got really good and comfortable. After a year of that cut it down to two finger. It’s more comfortable and feels great to me. For me it turned out to be no problem. Got to check out a four, three, and two finger release from one brass Truball HT. It was a used one from our AT classifieds. Not planning on changing anytime soon.

· Premium Member
Bowtech Reckoning 38 compound dedicated target kit. Plus, two '60s vintage Herter's recurve bows.
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was concerned with my arthritis and limited motion in release wrist from a sever break in my twenty’s when considering a hinge. Decided to try a four finger. It was no problem at all. After a year cut it down to three finger. Felt good to draw but was causing my thumb joint to hurt from the arthritis in it. Took thumb barrel off. Things got really good and comfortable. After a year of that cut it down to two finger. It’s more comfortable and feels great to me. For me it turned out to be no problem. Got to check out a four, three, and two finger release from one brass Truball HT. It was a used one from our AT classifieds. Not planning on changing anytime soon.
Helpful and encouraging! Thanks.

· Registered
2,492 Posts
Any advice on whether or not to transition away from a wrist release...considering mild to moderate arthritis in draw hand and wrist.

Looking for something different from my hinge I had been shooting , year b 4 last at Vegas at Tru Balls booth tried a GO 2 , can be set to trigger with index or pinky finger , mines set up for pinky , highly doubt I ever use a different release after using this , shoot it just like a hinge with the benefit of having to trigger it , so built in safety

· Registered
2,610 Posts
After stroke, I had to switch from hinge to wrist release. The release would sometimes fall from my hand at full draw. With my Stan Xtinction 2, I have more control and the wrist strap prevents my release from going down the practice lane. But it is not as accurate as a hinge on my good shots.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.