Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being stationed overseas for 16 years I have returned to the states and got back into archery. I love it more as an adult than I did as as child. I have now progressed into wanting to shoot spots. I currently use a Gator (wrist release) release for hunting and I like not having pressure on my release hand itself.

SO GETTING TO MY QUESTION: Is there a wrist style release you would recommend for target shooting?

I would like to know if there are any sold by Cabela's that you would reccomend?

One last dumb (newbie) question? Please describe back tention release to me.

Thanks for your time.....Tim

·
Registered
164 Posts
Target wrist release

There are a lot of good wrist releases on the market, Scott makes really good wrist releases, I recomend the Litttle Goose, or the Tru Ball Short -n- Sweet, both sold by Cabelas.

Good Shooting!

·
Registered
13,177 Posts
Don't overlook the Carter line of wrist releases!

Go to the following website and look at them and the other hand held releases.

In the spot shooting environment, VERY FEW shooters are winning major events using wrist style releases, and there aren't any World or National Records in the target end that have been shot with wrist releases. Nearly all the top end shooters are shooting hand held releases.

However, that doesn't mean that you can't meet YOUR shooting goals by using a wrist release.

http://www.releaseaids.com/products/prod_sol3.html

Back tension has been discussed at such great length on this site that I would recommend that you do a search on the subject and read to your heart's content.

field14:cool:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi Tim,

Most people do tend to use hand held releases, but that doesn't mean to say wrist releases don't work for target shooting.

Dejan Sitar is a prime example - 1400+ fita and 2002 fita world champ, - with a wrist release..... if I recall correctly.

I have shot some good Fita scores with hand held releases, but I'm still amazed at how well my simple Fletchmatic Wrist release works....

James

·
Registered
13 Posts
Back tension is the most effective way to use a release with-out punching. The hardest thing to do is to find what back tension feels like, so try this. Back up to a wall or door and stand as tho you are shooting a bow, place your release arm elbow on the wall and push, feel the mussels in your back(in-between your shoulder blades) that’s the muscles that you use to pull your bow with. As you pull your hand will close. Now the trick is knowing how munch tension to put on the trigger with-out relising the string. With some practice you will soon learn, and then it will become second nature. Keep pulling and the release will go off. It should be a surprise. Practice. Practice. Practice. Good luck, and keep at it, this is not mastered in just one short day. The best way to do it is to shoot into a blank bail at short range 3-5 yardes with your eyes closed and realey consentrat on how a good shoot feales like

1 - 7 of 7 Posts