Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back to the states after being absent for 3 months. I missed pretty much all of hunting season, but during that time my brother managed to lose my release. I had a wrist style trufire edge fold back. Now that I'm in the market for a new one I wanted to explore my options. I'm very interested in the thumb/pinky style handheld releases but have never used one before. I liked my wrist style but it would get aggravating with coat sleeves, and hot during the early season. I like the idea of having my release already on my loop ready to go. I'm just looking for everyone's opinion of advantages/disadvantages of both?! And a good starter handheld style? Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
I started with Truball Fang 4, then moved to Carter Simple 1. A couple of things: my groups got better, I learned the importance of back tension, and I have never had a better hunting season. Plus as a bonus, it cures all of the symptoms you mentioned above of a wrist release.

I will never go back. If I was to change to anything, I would move to a hinge to potentially improve my accuracy even greater.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I think the handheld is the way to go for consistency and improved accuracy. I started with the thumb release and migrated to a hinge after I figured out how to do the back tension. Really like it now. Took almost a year to get really proficient.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts