Archery Talk Forum banner

Wrist vs Thumb release dilemma

1352 Views 10 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  DA1588
So I have been shooting a wrist release since I started bow hunting. And let me clarify, I shoot a bow to hunt - exclusively. I may shoot some 3D one day, but honestly I hunt so much I don't really have time to go "play shoot". I shoot to get good and accurate and keep my bow tuned - to HUNT!

I have shot a thumb release a few times. At the time didn't know that you had to change your setup and anchor point with a thumb release. On one occasion (the last I shot) the bow lurched forward as was anchoring (got rid of that bow as it was harsh that way), ripped the thumb release out of my hand, broke the strap off the wrist retaining strap and sent the thumb release down range a few dozen yards.

My questions to the forum are two fold:
1. What are the pros/cons of using a wrist vs thumb - for Hunting and why should I switch (or shouldn't I)
2. If I switched from a wrist to a thumb what changes do I need to make to my bow and anchor point?

Thank you in advance for your inputs. Always valued!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· NOOBY
2,316 Posts
Well the answer to #1 is pretty subjective. All about preference really. I love my thumb and after switching from wrist I will never go back. Just a better release IMO. I don't think its a matter of a better product but about what a person likes better. If I had started with a better quality wrist I might not have ever switched, I had a kind of low grade one when I changed. There are some really high quality of both types.

#2 you anchor point is a bit deeper for me when I switched, not hard to change just a touch different. The only change I had to make on the bow was the peep needed just a bit of adjusting but nothing else really.

I am a pure hunter, no 3D and do lots of practice with my son on all types of courses but I use a bow to hunt.

· Registered
Isaiah 6:8
4,226 Posts
So I have been shooting a wrist release since I started bow hunting. And let me clarify, I shoot a bow to hunt - exclusively. I may shoot some 3D one day, but honestly I hunt so much I don't really have time to go "play shoot". I shoot to get good and accurate and keep my bow tuned - to HUNT!

I have shot a thumb release a few times. At the time didn't know that you had to change your setup and anchor point with a thumb release. On one occasion (the last I shot) the bow lurched forward as was anchoring (got rid of that bow as it was harsh that way), ripped the thumb release out of my hand, broke the strap off the wrist retaining strap and sent the thumb release down range a few dozen yards.

My questions to the forum are two fold:
1. What are the pros/cons of using a wrist vs thumb - for Hunting and why should I switch (or shouldn't I)
2. If I switched from a wrist to a thumb what changes do I need to make to my bow and anchor point?

Thank you in advance for your inputs. Always valued!
1. no inherent accuracy benefits to one over the other. i shoot a thumb through the year because i like putting it in my release pouch and freeing my hand up. with an index release my trigger finger gets antsy. for hunting i use an index release because it's always on my wrist ready to go. not going to lie, i slap that trigger when hunting so i prefer the index release

2. if you switch then you will have to adjust your anchor, sight, and peep. with an index i like to keep the knuckle of my first finger right behind my ear in that soft spot, just allows for consistent placement. once you get that anchor point established adjust your peep and sight to all match up accordingly

· Shootin and Cussin
27,304 Posts
As long as your index is a seer setup, such as a Wiseguy or one of the Carter's, it really makes no difference. Shoot what you like.

· Back Yard Champion
36,007 Posts
Though I shoot a thumb release for competition I still use a index release for hunting.

I used a index release when I started competition and I was pretty darn good - placed and won a bunch in 3D, Indoor, Outdoor and Field. And then there were those who said I'd be even better with a thumb release. Well, time proven, I don't shoot any better with a thumb release.

"My questions to the forum are two fold:
2. If I switched from a wrist to a thumb what changes do I need to make to my bow and anchor point?"

1 - Shoot what you like. A thumb release does give that better repeatable anchor. Me; the index and middle finger hand knuckles are right at the corner of my jaw. The index and middle finger split the corner of my jaw line. See pics.
For a index, me; thumb and web surround the corner of my jaw - thumb running along the bottom of my jaw line.

2 - You anchor differently. That you anchor differently peep height and draw length of bow may be effected. Most have to move the peep. Some get by with just changing the length of their d-loop.

Two well known archers, John Dudley and Reo Wilde. Facial features make the anchor look different, but both are the same....

Photograph Mouth Ear Jaw Cap

· Registered
Bow mounted Magnetic Release Holders
120 Posts
I shot a wrist strap for years, I shot well with a wrist strap. A friend of mine gave me. A sweet deal on a Stan Perfex, I could tell it was much cleaner style of release. But the one thing I hated about the wrist strap was also the most beneficial as far as hunting. Having the release always ready to use. That’s why I invented the AOT mounts. Now I have the best of both worlds, instant access to a Thumb Release and nothing on my wrist or in my hand.

· Registered
4,469 Posts
On any given day I will shoot an index,thumb trigger and or hinge release. I can put straps on two of my thumb triggers and one of my hinges , or shoot without them. I have one thumb trigger that you can't use a strap.

If I had to just have one....especially for hunting. It would be one like this ...a thumb trigger with a strap...

I could have hunted my entire life with an index had they not invented anything else, and It would not have mean't much difference. The big difference came when releases came out period, and then again when they were refined. Shooting with fingers was trickier. However I will also say it was an enjoyable process going through it all. Heck,I remember how excited I was with my first cowhide tab with the hair still on it. At the time I remember thinking this thing is awesome.

· The Impartial Archer
24,847 Posts
Are you having issues you are trying to fix or switching because others are? Like you I have been using a wrist release forever so why switch unless you have an issue.

The pro's for a wrist release are it's attached to your wrist, you can wear it to the stand or out and it's easy to have in case you need it. If you are stalking it's even better IMO. The draw weight is easier to pull with your wrist than with your fingers as well. If you have a good wrist release and it setup well accuracy is great so I'm not sure why so many people switch. TV probably.......and the fact you can then take a picture of the release hanging on the string?

IMHO you see things bleed over to hunting from target and 3D because people use them and then get comfortable and don't want to change. Some of those are good and some not so good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.