Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live on a few acres in rural MS. Our property boundary is a creek and beyond the creek is about 70 acres of forest between my house and the highway. The person who owns it lives out of state, so he has a manager for the property who lives just across the street from me.

The "manager" gave me verbal permission to scout the land and bowhunt it this winter. Considering I will be basically hunting in my backyard, I am very excited. However, I want to keep myself legally protected in the event of the unknown.

Question: Should I have something in writing and signed by the manager and myself stating that he has agreed to let me hunt the property? I have pretty much always hunted public land and/or deer camp so I am not familiar with this type of scenario.

Any insight and advice will be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Unless the law of MS requires you have written permission to hunt from the owner like CT and some other states do, I wouldn't over think it. You have a good faith reliance that the property manager is acting under authority of the land owner to grant permission. Just hunt it and stay under the radar about it (just because this is always a good idea).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have a good faith reliance that the property manager is acting under authority of the land owner to grant permission. Just hunt it and stay under the radar about it (just because this is always a good idea).
I do have a good relationship with the manager. Like you said, his only stipulation was that it be only me hunting - I assured him that would not be a problem. I'm not sure what the law says about it. I may just craft up something simple and straightforward just to follow the C.Y.A. protocol.

·
Pay It Forward
25,845 Posts
Unless the law of MS requires you have written permission to hunt from the owner like CT and some other states do, I wouldn't over think it. You have a good faith reliance that the property manager is acting under authority of the land owner to grant permission. Just hunt it and stay under the radar about it (just because this is always a good idea).
Agreed, make a mountain and they might just push you off....my experiences, landowners/managers want as little nonsense, aggravation, etc...as possible. Checking the MS laws/regs is something you can do on your own. If you find favorable info, I'd send the landowner and manager a thank you for letting me hunt and get out there and git-r-dun!

Joe

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I do have a good relationship with the manager. Like you said, his only stipulation was that it be only me hunting - I assured him that would not be a problem. I'm not sure what the law says about it. I may just craft up something simple and straightforward just to follow the C.Y.A. protocol.
I wasn't talking about your relationship to the manager, I was suggesting that you have a good faith belief that the manager was actually granted authority by the landowner to give you permission. In other words, if this is just some guy you know that lives next to the property in question that said, yeah go ahead and hunt, I am sure the owner wouldn't care, then I would go to the owner and get permission.

But if this guy is a legitimate land manager for the owner, and you believe in good faith based on some kind of rational evidence that the owner has delegated these kind decisions to the property manager, than I would accept that and hunt it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wasn't talking about your relationship to the manager, I was suggesting that you have a good faith belief that the manager was actually granted authority by the landowner to give you permission. In other words, if this is just some guy you know that lives next to the property in question that said, yeah go ahead and hunt, I am sure the owner wouldn't care, then I would go to the owner and get permission.

But if this guy is a legitimate land manager for the owner, and you believe in good faith based on some kind of rational evidence that the owner has delegated these kind decisions to the property manager, than I would accept that and hunt it.
Well, I know for certain he is not just "some guy". He has produced papers that are signed by the landowner that states his role as a manager of the property. He works a lot during the summer keeping the access lane to the property clear and clean.

So I am assured of his authority to grant permission.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Well, I know for certain he is not just "some guy". He has produced papers that are signed by the landowner that states his role as a manager of the property. He works a lot during the summer keeping the access lane to the property clear and clean.

So I am assured of his authority to grant permission.
Then I would just hunt it, nothing more to do.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I am fairly certain that Mississippi does not require you to have written permission. However, as a courtesy, the MDWP provides on their website prewritten permission slips that you can fill out and have the owner sign if you choose to go that route to CYA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am fairly certain that Mississippi does not require you to have written permission. However, as a courtesy, the MDWP provides on their website prewritten permission slips that you can fill out and have the owner sign if you choose to go that route to CYA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you have that MDWFP link? That would be great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts