Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our website has been updated and the gliches have been woked out.We will be adding a paypal buy now button and a shopping cart button over the next week and a half.Thank you for your understabnding and we look forward to serving you.
Thank You,
Jason M chapman
Owner Wolfden Bowstrings

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Best strings available

We offer the finest quality strings available.If you need a new setup look us up at www.wolfdenbowstrings.com. We are currently changing our website over to an online store.

·
Registered
725 Posts
no offense

I love when I hear things like we stretch our strings at 325 pounds of pressure to pre stretch the string. What does this have to do with making a string correctly, ummmm nothing!! I have been making custom strings for over 20 years working with B-50 dacron to all the latest and greatest string material. If anyone wants a balanced string made to shoot dead on perfect out of the wrapper until it breaks then e-mail me. these guys who proclaim they make the best miss every important part of making a string balanced, string pressure is critical only until about 90 lbs of pressure that's it. 325 is a joke all your doing putting undue stress on a strings servings then as you take it off the pressure it goes back to were it wants to. So in short I make balanced strings that stay straight and balanced until they break.

I bought a winners choice string just too see what they were claiming was true. guess what it curled like a pig tail when it was put on the bow. again another unbalanced string:rolleyes:

·
Registered
450 Posts
i don't know i'd want to buy strings from a guy that advertises a solution 2.5 for sale, but when it gets to your doos it's a sol. 2. then tells you the store he bought it from told him it's a solution 2.5, so the inflated price you payed for a sol. 2 is well, tough luck, because he won't answer your e-mails.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Re: no offense

I love when I hear things like we stretch our strings at 325 pounds of pressure to pre stretch the string. What does this have to do with making a string correctly, ummmm nothing!!
I've made about 100 strings, so I'm just a beginner and I'm looking to learn. I heard that Winner's Choice puts about 700 lbs of tention on their strings to pre-stretch them. I've been making mine with 400 lbs and have had no problems so far. They seem to be "set" after no more than a few shots. My servings don't separate and I've had no string failures so far.

I tried making a couple strings without much tension and they took many shots to settle in. Could you explain why the high tension is not desired?

these guys who proclaim they make the best miss every important part of making a string balanced, string pressure is critical only until about 90 lbs of pressure that's it. 325 is a joke all your doing putting undue stress on a strings servings then as you take it off the pressure it goes back to were it wants to. So in short I make balanced strings that stay straight and balanced until they break.
Could you explain what you mean by balanced? Also, what do you mean by "stay straight"?

I was under the understanding that when served under higher tension, the serving would tighten when the string was relaxed (if served in the correct direction). I thought this was a good thing, as long as you didn't serve too tightly to begin with. In my experience, if the servings are not tight enough, they separate rather easily.

I bought a winners choice string just too see what they were claiming was true. guess what it curled like a pig tail when it was put on the bow. again another unbalanced string:rolleyes:
What do you mean by "curled like a pig tail". If the string is on the bow, under 60 or 70 lbs of tension, the only way I can see it curling, is if there are too many twists in it. I've twisted my own up to one twist per inch without ever seeing this happen.

I'm not questioning your expertise, just trying to increase my own. Thanks,

·
Registered
829 Posts
bobbyg

Well I have to speak as I find, I have bought several strings and cables from wolfden bowstrings, and they have been great, put them on my patriot, and pro 40 shot about 25 arrows, put the peep in and it hasn’t moved or stretched from that point.
As I say, I have bought the product and it is good, lots of good string maker’s pre stretch the string for the obvious reason of stopping to much stretch on the bow

I would be interested in your responce to steveR

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
There is a manufactures area and I notice alot of the larger manufactures using it.;)

·
Registered
725 Posts
I will answer your questions as asked:

First off using 400 or even 700 lb. is obviously a given impossibility, lets take a string material like 452 made by BCY ( great string material by the way ) it is slightly under 100 lb. of breaking strength, so if you were making a string correctly then you would be using almost Maximum pressure around 75 to 90 lb. of tension when wrapping your string. So 400 or 700 lb. of pressure on a string that was made using lets say 40lbs of pressure to secure the tension around the post would prove to be useless when you apply a horrific load like 400 lb. or even 700lbs on a completed string. I wish some people would talk to the manufactures of the material they choose to make their strings with. Most bows would never exceed the 200lbs of pressure generated on a string while drawing a bow, so what does 400 or even 700 lbs do to a completed string that has a break strength around 1000lb on the loop.

Also please explain how you are applying this 400 lb pressure to your string? I can bench almost 390lbs and I know that without proper equipment to gauge string pressure you are just pissing in the wind.

A balanced string is my trademark and I refuse to give out 20 years of knowledge for free.

And to answer your question about the winner choice string material twisting like a pig tail. I installed their string out of the bag onto my Martin Fury X bow and drew it back and the string was horribly unbalanced. It had curves and twist at full draw it look like a snake winding through the cam. Obviously the 700 lb. did the trick.

In closing, most bows will never generate the pressure you are talking about, and the most important thing in making a string is applying equal string pressure while wrapping it. And as far a serving the string and load balancing it that is my knowledge of years of trial and error.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Refuse?

You refuse to give out knowledge for free?

Get off this board then.

Archery Talk is about helping each othe and sharing ideas.

·
Registered
984 Posts
bobbyg,

I appreciate your desire to keep all this knowledge to yourself, but coming on here blasting a technique, and then not telling us exactly what is wrong and what "balanced" even means, makes me wonder what your intentions are. Do you just want to sell more of your strings and put a competitor down?

By the way, the breaking strength of Ultra Cam is 120 lb per strand. On a 16 strand string, that comes to 1,920 lb - almost a ton! Also, I measure the 400 lbs with a scale, so I know exactly what I have on the string. So, each strand only was to withstand 25 lbs of pressure in my situation. I would guess that since the string can handle 5 times the stress I'm putting on it, there should be no serious weakening, which proves to be the case in actual use. In addition, my strings do not curl like a pig tail, so I would have to conclude that the curling doesn't come from the high tension I'm putting on them. It would guess it was from some other reason.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The breaking strength of Ultra Cam is 120 LB per strand. On a 16 strand string, that comes to 1,920 LB - almost a ton!

correct and wrong!

Your strings breaking strength is 960lbs not 1,920lb you forget your string will break at the loop which is only being held by 8 strands ~~>960lb breaking strength.

Again tell me what does 400 lbs do for a string by applying that kind of pressure on a completed string. Explain in detail

I don't need to be a student of making strings I am a master string maker.
If you know how to make a string correctly then go out and buy a spool of
B-50 material and make a 100 inch string with equal string pressure. I will guarantee you will take the pressure off the arms and more than half of the string will sag while the others stay up. I can make a 100 inch B-50 DACRON STRING
with equal tension on each string. the beginning of a balanced string

and as far as giving out free information, maybe after I write a book and then you can give it out for free to your friends.

·
Registered
829 Posts
bobbyg

Bobbyg

It makes me wonder, why a renowned string maker of over 50years as you say would need to buy a winners choice string, as your strings are so well balanced you would think that you would only want your own strings on your bow
And as for people that are pissing in the wind, I think this only applies to you
No offence
:confused:

·
Registered
984 Posts
Again tell me what does 400 lbs do for a string by applying that kind of pressure on a completed string. Explain in detail
Once again, I'm not questioning your expertise, just looking for an expanation. I'll tell you what I've heard pre-stretching does, and it seems to actually work that way for me.

Getting exactly even tension on each strand, during the wrapping process, is difficult. Slight variations will end up creeping out of the string. This may take a couple hundred shots or more depending on the amount of slop in the building process. When a bow is shot, the force exerted on the string is far more than the poundage of the draw weight. This force pulls the slop out of the string and causes it to "set", where all strands have exactly the same tension on them (assuming the string was tied correctly). The extra tension, when making the string, helps shorten this break-in period. I suppose if you somehow got the tension exactly right, when winding the string onto the jig, you wouldn't have to worry about putting on all this tension. I have found it to be beneficial to have the tension there. After about a dozen shots, the peep will not move and the string will not creep more than about 1/16" over the next 6 months of frequent shooting. The servings do not separate and none of the strings have failed. It seems to work.

I use Ultra Cam on 95% of the strings I've made. The others were D75-thin, and I haven't tracked the results on the D75-thin, quite as well.

Your expanation of the loops being the weak link, makes sense. Funny thing, I've never had a string break there in the last 35 years of having all kinds of strings. Lots of them have broke, but never on the loop. Maybe the loop serving gives added strength and protection against breakage.

I would expect that if 400 lbs was not good for the life of the string, I would have seen some failures. I know that some of these strings have been shot at least 15,000 times. Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe 400 lbs isn't too much. If it is dangerous, I have to wonder how Winners Choice get away with 700 lbs without an outcry from all the failures on a $100 string and cable set-up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts