Archery Talk Forum banner

Success Rate

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys this fall my dad is taking me antelope hunting and a couple of his friends. So there is going to be about 4-5 of us and were not sure were in wyoming we should go. Or what equipment to take. Right now were planing go down and catch 2-3 days of bow season and 2-3 of Riffle. So if any of you guys have done let me know about how it went were and what you took.
Thanks, OhioHunter2010 :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ohio,

I have a friend whose family own a ranch in WY. We went a couple of years ago. His ranch is located in unit 7 and the lope population was good.

Heres the thing, WY has a draw for out of staters separate from the in staters. I believe the out of state draw closes the middle of march and your tag is $286. You also have to by a conservation stamp and hunting license. If you do not get drawn, it has been my experience that WY has a ton of left over tags posted some time in July.

Also, if you hunt private property keep in mind the land owner must sign your tag!!! If you get stopped with a tagged animal, with everything else legal but the land owner didnt sign your tag, its the same as not having a tag altogether.

I also have a friend who hunts near Cheyenne and the lope population there is good too.

I hunted during rifle season (now Im dreaming of taking one with a bow!) and I used a .243 with a 100gr bullet. It dropped in his tracks. I had a friend with me who shouldered a 7mm rem mag for the extra distance and it punched a whole so big in the lope the meat was bad on one side. I would say a .243, .270 anything in between there would be good.

Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
190 Posts
You didn't say whether you have any preference points...assuming you don't, you will most likely only get a tag in areas that have alot of private ground. You should check (ahead of applying) for landowners that will allow you to hunt their property and most will probably charge a tresspass fee. I'm not saying public ground won't be available just be careful choosing your area. Enjoy, it is a blast hunting speedgoats.

·
Registered
171 Posts
be prepared for long shots w/ the bow if you are going to spot n stalk. we consistently take lope out to 80 yds. your camo should be very light in weight and color. the mossyoaok brush is outstanding. watch your weather patterns. bring along ground blinds and try to hunt over some water holes if possible. they are really a blast to hunt. find one and you'll find many. good luck

·
WapitiBob
6,935 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
if you have the rifle you can fill all your tags. i have went out with a group and i believe we had 9 does in the first day then took our time and hunted for a good buck. we normally have 4 or 5 hunters and have filled our tags everytime(always rifle hunted though). we always went out the second season after they were spooky, but not to many hunters out then. it's a fun hunt, best of luck to you

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ive only hunted units 6 and 7 and as the gentleman above suggested, most of the land in these two units were private. However, a knock on the door and a polite ask of permission may get you right in.......

·
Registered
9,276 Posts
Area 87, lots of public land. around 50% draw. March 15th the deadline for the draw.

2 for 2 on antelope archery. 2 for 2 on rifle.

lots of 13 1/2 inch bucks and some better up to 15".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts