Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have never hunted Wyoming before but I have been buying Antelope points. My question is does anyone have any suggestions what unit may be a good choice with 2-3 non resident points? Archery or rifle? I just want to get some ideas so I could start doing some homework.

Thank you,

·
Registered
413 Posts
I can't remember any of the Unit #'s I have hunted but I have bow hunted near Cheyenne, Douglas, Wright and Gillette. Successful on all hunts and saw lots of P&Y bucks. I never had any preference points but never failed to draw a license.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't remember any of the Unit #'s I have hunted but I have bow hunted near Cheyenne, Douglas, Wright and Gillette. Successful on all hunts and saw lots of P&Y bucks. I never had any preference points but never failed to draw a license.
Was there good public access? Did you spot and stalk or hunt water?

Thank you

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ground Blind over water. I have both paid trespass fees and hunted private land and also hunted public land. With some research you will not have any problem finding public land with good access. If hunting water holes pray for dry weather if it rains a lot you are in trouble. You could try the spot and stalk with a Montana decoy during the rut.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ground Blind over water. I have both paid trespass fees and hunted private land and also hunted public land. With some research you will not have any problem finding public land with good access. If hunting water holes pray for dry weather if it rains a lot you are in trouble. You could try the spot and stalk with a Montana decoy during the rut.
Thank you for the info, I will look into it.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I wish I was a resident. its awesome out there. I think I had 1 point the first trip out in 2013 and 2 points in 2015. They recommend having at least 2 points to draw in this unit now. they cut the quotas back quite a bit. still a ton of animals. I have gotten about 3 total hours of antelope hunting in 2 trips. the rest of the time is spent shooting prairie dogs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've rifle hunted it 3 of the last 4 years. The places I hunted were all public except one area where I befriended a rancher and can go with no fees. Most of what I have hunted has been open country, stalking up to one or a herd in my mind would be difficult, but I've also never tried. It would be interesting to archery hunt, I may try it one of these years, if I were going today I have an idea of where I would setup. One thing to keep in mind is Antelope tend to be in larger herds and you have alot of eyes to fool and from what I have observed they prefer to stay in open areas where they aren't closed in. I read they can't jump a fence and will run alongside one to find a place under or through it, I've observed that happen and young Mr. Antelope must have gone a mile down the road before he found a place to get under. It makes me wonder if the same thing happens when they encounter a creek, they just go alongside it till they find a place to cross?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts