Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old plunger finally gave out under constant abuse and I purchased the Decut X-Spot plunger as a replacement. I'm satisfied, even a bit impressed, by this plunger. It set up quickly and the positive adjustment system allowed me to tune it in very quickly.

However, there is one thing that concerns me. The plunger button itself is made of plastic and I'm not sure how much wear and tear its going to take. Anyone know of a steel or brass button that would work with this plunger?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Most plungers have that part made out of plastic, including high end ones. It should compress quicker under the same force from the arrow when it's got lower mass, though never seen anything concrete about it affecting arrow groups. When the arrow rubs against the button there's a bit of friction and a very very small amount of wear - much better if that happens to the cheap and easily replaced bit of plastic (most, including yours I think come with a spare) instead of the arrow.

Though what happened to break your old one? Other than rusting or getting bent when dropped, they're pretty everything-proof.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was a tanker in the service and tankers have a reputation for being able to break the unbreakable.

I'm not entirely sure what happened, but I think I was putting my bow in its stand and struck the plunger against the yoke that holds the bow. The plunger split at its thinnest point, the low point in the threading.

What may have made matters worse is I bought my riser used and the prior owner peened the threading on the plunger by over tightening the set screws. I stripped the plunger down, chucked the body into a electric drill and ran a jeweler's file down the threads to remove the peening. I may have removed more material than I intended.

I've also had problems with the limb alignment screws on the riser. I had one strip out and I had to remove, clean and lubricate them all and fabricate new set screws.

Archery is fun.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I would consider getting a Beiter instead. The X-spot design is similar but the quality is nowhere near that of the Beiter. Two issues I had with the X-spot include lack of replacement parts and it seized up after a few months of use (rust and grit inside the barrel). No issues at all with the Beiter - plenty of parts available and lasts indefinitely. Pricey but worth it if you just want it to work.

For a non click adjustable plunger, I recommend Shibuya DX or AAE Master.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just installed the X-Spot and its working fine, so I'm not in the market to change things at this point. Its my practice to measure and record the settings on all my equipment, so I can strip, clean and reinstall the plunger without issue.

I have read about the Beiter and while most recommend it highly, at $120 its 3 times the price of the X-Spot.

I've got a college students to feed, so that's a factor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts