Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a Hoyt X-tec bow set at 50lb draw weight. Shot through a cronograph and was shooting at 203 FPS. Would this be enough speed to use mechanical broadheads? Currently using Muzzy fixed blades. Also wondering if this speed seems normal. Really like the bow, shuts good. Thank You

·
Registered Elker
7,727 Posts
Do you know what your arrow eight in grains is? I want to calculate you KE energy.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I would use something like the Rocket 75gr Wolverine 3P. My sister shoots those with only 27 ftlbs of energy. She shoots a 320 grain arrow at 189 FPS. She shot her deer at 17 yards and the broadhead made contact with heavy bone and nearly went all the way through. This is an expandable that penetrates very well with a 1.25" cut. I use them myself and have great penetration with them.

·
Banned
4,304 Posts
I'd be more inclined to shoot fixed blades, in fact I do. Look at the Magnus Stingers. They have a two blade, and a four blade. You can get them in 85 gr. Very sharp, fly like darts, and it's very tough to hurt them. They also have a lifetime warranty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.