Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna start getting into Fita and was wondering if x10's can be used with compounds. I know they are expensive but I'm good enough that cost don't mean a thing to me.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
X10's can work very well for compounds. Just look at Dave Cousins. Wish money was not an issue for me :). They are just very hard to tune. You need to cut some off the back and some off the front, and make sure you have the right spine shaft. You may go through a few dozen before you find what size/length works for you.

·
Registered
788 Posts
they can be used with a compound bow as brad rega said,just make sure you get them spined right.otherwise there is going to be a lot of happy people on here when you have to sell them:) it may cost money but it might be a good idea to run your setup through an arrow selection programe like archers advantage.good shooting

·
Registered
745 Posts
I would o with ace's. They will be easier to tune for a compound and they are very durable. You have to remember this, D. Cousins has unlimited resources to arrow shafts.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
IMHO I believe the Navigator made by easton is better suited for compound fita. The X-10 was orginally designed to used with recurve. They are a smaller diameter arrow than the ACE, and I believe the compound is just tougher on them. I believe Dave Cousins goes through 9 dozen X-10's in one outdoors season. Most of us do not have the reasources, financial means, or time to shoot up that many arrows. :) The Navigator is the diameter of the ACE with the weight of the X-10. My vote would be to double up on Navigators instead of getting just one dozen X-10's.

·
Urban Archery
3,814 Posts
The X10 is an awesome Compound arrow. Group great and the componants are good. Give them a try!

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
I would go with the navigators or even the ACC's (good enough for Gary Broadhead to win Jakarta 95 with them). My wife shoots X10's well out of her compound (we got some used an now owna a shop and get them cheaper (though they still are big $$$) and they tune easily.

I think the navigators are a good idea-the tapered concept (ACE and X10) with the weaker nock end was designed to smooth out a finger release

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Navigators

The Navigators are great for compounds. Not that the X-10 isn't a great arrow, but unless your last name is Easton, they are an expensive proposition. I have a friend who pays his own way and shoots X-10's and every time one gets trashed it makes you sick to your stomach. $35 each. He just bought a dozen Navigators to see if he can get similar performance at less than half the cost. I am just a rookie distance shooter and I shot a four arrow 2 1/2" group at 80 yards a couple of days ago when the wind was dead calm. If you tune your bow and can hold on the spot, I don't think anyone less than DC could tell the difference if at all.
Jbird

·
Urban Archery
3,814 Posts
$35 each.
That's Cheap!!
My wife's set she used at the World Target last month cost her $89each. That's 12 X10's with pins, nocks vanes and tungstun points.
Navigators cost us about $35 each.

Why would she spend that much? Because she knows they work and confidence is worth then extra. Her first day out she shot 338 at 70m with them. Quality arrow.
For practise use she most likely will buy some Navigators soon, but tournament use will stay the X10s

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would definitely use X10's. They are by far the best arrow for minimizing wind drift and are very easy to tune with compounds. I also get vastly longer life out of them than for other arrows. No other arrow gets even remotely close. Because of their longer life, they actually end up more cost-effective than other arrows.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
X-10 Cost

Marcus,
We are talking $35 US with steel points, not tungsten. If you paid $89 US, thats a lot of freight! You must have bought them from F/S Discount Archery. LOL
Jbird

·
Registered
14 Posts
Brad, are you 100% on cutting from both front AND back of the X-10 ?

Just wondering since Easton talk only of cutting off the front, and general talking seems to suggest cutting from the back of an x10s is a big no.

I'm not knowledgeable in this area but I'm keen to know.

Jason

·
Registered
829 Posts
cartel olympian arrows

Hi Guys
I know that this mite sound like heresy to all Easton lovers, we in UK have found the cartel Olympian arrows to be the match of any x 10’s and also at a fraction of the cost, have cartel arrived in the U.S yet, if you can get some well worth a try
They are about to bring out a barrelled version; I would describe the Olympian shaft as a very thin acc
Good shooting all
:)

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
HARLEYHUNTER said:
if you do get the X-10's dont listen to brad rega!!! you DO NOT cut from the back end
Actually, yes you should. More often than not any disparity in a shaft is going to be at the ends. When you eliminate that portion, you come out with a tighter TIR

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
an interesting side note-on the Sagittarius site, Vittorio Frangilli (whose son just won the recurve archery world title with ACE's) claims that the ACE is by far the superior arrow. Lighter weight with heavier point is better , IHO, then the heavier x10. Not saying he is right but its an interesting concept.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
You can cut from the back of an X-10, it's just going to more dramatically effect the spine. If you don't want to risk a set of X-10's then cut from the front.

-CG

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Now granted, I don't know much about the X10's and maybe I spoke too soon, so could you educate me on how a 1/4 to 1/2" off the back will have a greater spine impact than just cutting from the front? Thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts