Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Huntoholic
10,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I picked up my new XB-30 Pro this afternoon and must say from the moment he handed me the box I was quite impressed!!!

The packaging is better than most and as good as my Zeiss Leupold and Burris packaging or better!
IMG_8792.jpg
Then when I opened the box I continued to be impressed by the way everything is placed and cushioned, better than most, and way better than Hawke in the past.
IMG_8794.jpg
Once I took everything out the first thing I noticed is they even improved the lens covers that I already thought were the best ever offered, by the manufacturer or aftermarket. They feel more solid and secure when closed, and have a slightly larger flange to flip them open, but not at all too big or in the way, and will not ever accidentally flip open on your way through the woods.
IMG_8809.jpg
When I looked thru the scope I was impressed by the new reticle and the crisp image,,, it is obviously an improved scope all the way, the glass does seem sharper and the image is crisp with the reticle sharp and very well appointed. I for one don't care about each chevron being numbered for yardage as I will zero it at 30 yards, this will also allow me to run less power for a wider field of view, and still remain at 10 yard increments out to 60 or 70 yards and never have any chevron off by more than 1 yard. Hunting big game out to 50 or 60 yards, field of view is more important to me than power, I ain't count'n hairs! Those wanting small chevrons for pinpoint aiming will probably be disappointed in the chevrons, they are heavier haired than before. But for hunting and in low light they will be easier to see, but I would have rather had them thinner as with the illumination who needs the heavy aiming points?? Other than that I find it quite acceptable and will be fine for most hunters, and preferable to many. I couldn't get the lens on the camera to focus the reticle and the image at the same time, so don't even consider this as a sample of the image quality because the image quality looking thru a focused scope is excellent, but it is a good view of the reticle, and what I had to focus to.
IMG_8802.jpg
I think the finish on the scope is even improved, with a fine matte finish, and new Hawke logo. I think even the most critical will agree after seeing and handling this scope Hawke intends to gain some popularity as a quality choice in Optics. I have owned every XB-30 model that has been introduced, and this is by far the best one yet in every way. The one thing I think they kept the same is the illumination, red only, one click and you are on it's lowest setting, and totally variable from there to full power.
IMG_8809.jpg
I wanted to mount it on the Mad Max as that is where it is going for this hunting season, but on the way home in Ft. Wayne I stopped and bought a set of rings to get everything mounted. The only thing they had was a set of steel Millett High cross lock's,,,, what a mistake bringing them home!! I will have to go tomorrow and get a set of low or med. aluminum rings. I wasn't worried about the weight but these things are just to cheap and I think they are cast steel, which are out of round and need a lot of lapping, on top of putting the scope to high. Once I get some scope rings tomorrow I will post my thoughts on using the scope and how well the parallax is it seemed just setting in the rings to be better controlled than the previous two models. So far I think this scope will compete well with any other crossbow specific scope on the market,,,, and is much improved on this new model over their previous XB-30 Pro models!!!
IMG_8807.jpg

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
i wasn't aware they changed them , i just had the 2014 version and this one looks different and the packaging is much better than previous years. i may have to check one of those out soon

·
Crossbow Broke
9,861 Posts
With the new Zeiss and improved XB 30, things are looking up for us crossbow guys!

·
SWAMP GANGSTER
3,998 Posts
It's great to see Hawke is listening and changed the reticle back. Thanks for the review wildcatter!

·
Bringer of truth
14,916 Posts
great review with the camera shot through the scope.
I was hoping you were going to say the reticle is thinner then the last model.
I would rather have thin and illuminated.

though a big step forward for Hawke and where thing were 3 years ago. with this type of scope.

·
Bringer of truth
14,916 Posts
who did you get yours from......?

·
Huntoholic
10,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Clint the 24 oz they advertised with the first generation included the stupid heavy sled that came on the original XB-30 that weighted 6.1 oz by itself, more than what 4 Burris fastfires weigh,,,,:wink:
But the second generation,,, if you will,,, with circle around the 30 yard DOT, and this one didn't come with it, so yes the weight is right and all three models of the XB-30 Pro, or 30mm tubed XB,,, (as I don't think the first generation was designated as "PRO") weigh about the same. But actual weight, with the finest flip up lens covers ever available, that come on the scope, and a Battery is 17.3 oz on the one I have. If I weigh it with the sled from a first generation XB they weigh 23.4. So maybe they are lightening the new ones even more ????

But I would say that 16.5 could be what the scope weights w/o battery and lens covers. But 17.3 is fully loaded just add rings. I can't descibe how much I like the Hawke scope covers and wish I could put these flip-up's on every scope I own,,, he!! I wish I could have a set on my Zeiss Bino's!!!!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
hunlee is allso impressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up
thats a 10 thumbs up from hunlee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hunlee is verry proud of Clint too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hunlee

·
Huntoholic
10,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thought this might be helpfull to others that own any scope in this same power range with similar speed settings indicating power. Also a rough description of the rangefinding capability Ventilator150 mentioned in his thread.
IMG_8811.jpg

This is also a very nice manual that accompanies the scope, much more professional than previous models,,,,,,,,BUT,,, it refers to the (SR) reticle from the previous model, leaving it kind of confusing, as maybe the reticle change was a later thought in the new production??? I will try and find out.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Very nice! As soon as I got the news of the change ( yesterday) I called Dave and got one on the way.....I love this scope with the new reticle!.....but I wasn't aware of all the other upgrades.....better optics and even a new better matte finish? ...Wow!!.......Hb

·
Huntoholic
10,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Man is it hard to find a set of low 30mm rings, or any 30mm ring other than for tactical use, see thru, heavy wide,,,, but I was determined so I gave up after 3 gun shops and a two archery shops and stole the rings off a spare TP Rangemaster Pro.

I had to shoot two arrows to get it sighted in, 3rd and 4th shot were dead center bulls at 30 yards!! First shot was 2 1/2" high and 3 1/4" right, walking the crosshair to the arrow I had the second arrow 4 clicks to far to the left, back 4 clicks and like I said, dead center. the clicks were positive, firm, and not to firm. I will let set over night and see what it does in the morning, after that little test I will got to 50 yards and set the 3rd chevron, that will put me dead on out 60 with the first 4 aiming points. So far I am happy.

I would say though that I still want the circle around the dot for my snow camo Lynx!! In the when everything has lost its leaves and the background is white I like that (SR) reticle. But for the more cluttered background in fall and when there is a dark shadow filled background the new reticle is better. I'm very satisfied, now the Mad Max and the Lynx both have hunting scopes I find very hard to beat, for my purpose. power range right where I want to be, bright sharp glass, and for my deteriorating vision,, and being to bullheaded to hunt with glasses on,,,,, I even have the useable lighted reticle last light if I need it!!

·
Chasin Swamp Donkeys
1,904 Posts
Any idea if the speed vs magnification would be the same as the original xb30 ?

Kyle

1 - 20 of 23 Posts