Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
19,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Xswanted asked me if I would post these pics since he was having a little problem sizing them. Congrats Justin on a nice deer!! I will let Justin tell the story!:)

Attachments

· Registered
5,479 Posts
Thanks guys!

He's not the biggest buck in the world but it was a cool hunt and a situation that I couldn't pass on and only the third buck I've shot with a bow!

I was hunting a spot on land my family owns that runs along a tree line, corn field and CRP. I hadn't hunt the spot in about two weeks base on the wind. So on friday night I went out. Saw lots of deer and this guy came out of the corn a doe came out of a slough about the same time and he started following her everywhere she went. I couldn't believe it, it seems early for that.

Anyhow she led him by my stand at about thirty yards, I drew and she busted me! I thought I was done but the buck paid no attention to me at all. He walked forward, I stopped him and he gave me a 30 yard broadside shot. I let the arrow fly and heard it hit.

I only had a few minutes of light left when I shot so I got down at about dark and tried looking for the arrow. Unfortunately I forgot a light and couldn't see it or blood anywhere. I watched the deer run away for about 50 yards and then lost track of him.

I backed out and came out the next morning in fearing that I might have hit him bad(read too many stories on here! but they helped me make a good decision) I got to where I thought the deer was when I shot and stood for a few minutes looking for blood in the immediate area. I looked down and I was standing on top of my arrow!! I thought that was a good sign until I picked the arrow up. No blood, a little hair and some fat. I was worried. I decided to try follow a trail through the grass about where I watched him walk and only found one little drop of blood. I was really worried. I got up the trail to where he disappeared and went around the corner of a slough and there he was! He didn't go more than 80 yards from where I shot.

I hit him about perfect, double lung, clean pass through. His body cavity was completely filled with blood but it didn't come out. Shot was a touch high, but did the job. I shot him with a DXT 29/65 with CX Maximas at 360 grains, 298fps, and Muzzy 100s.

He was just shy of 175 field dressed.

And no there is no illusion, it really is that flat in Eastern ND!

· Registered
1,539 Posts
congrats Justin, nice shot.

· Registered
4,469 Posts
Congrats... Go Team Freezer-Wrap....!!!

· Registered
19,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let me know when you are cooking those roasts.:tongue:

· Registered
508 Posts
Thanks guys!

He's not the biggest buck in the world but it was a cool hunt and a situation that I couldn't pass on and only the third buck I've shot with a bow!

I was hunting a spot on land my family owns that runs along a tree line, corn field and CRP. I hadn't hunt the spot in about two weeks base on the wind. So on friday night I went out. Saw lots of deer and this guy came out of the corn a doe came out of a slough about the same time and he started following her everywhere she went. I couldn't believe it, it seems early for that.

Anyhow she led him by my stand at about thirty yards, I drew and she busted me! I thought I was done but the buck paid no attention to me at all. He walked forward, I stopped him and he gave me a 30 yard broadside shot. I let the arrow fly and heard it hit.

I only had a few minutes of light left when I shot so I got down at about dark and tried looking for the arrow. Unfortunately I forgot a light and couldn't see it or blood anywhere. I watched the deer run away for about 50 yards and then lost track of him.

I backed out and came out the next morning in fearing that I might have hit him bad(read too many stories on here! but they helped me make a good decision) I got to where I thought the deer was when I shot and stood for a few minutes looking for blood in the immediate area. I looked down and I was standing on top of my arrow!! I thought that was a good sign until I picked the arrow up. No blood, a little hair and some fat. I was worried. I decided to try follow a trail through the grass about where I watched him walk and only found one little drop of blood. I was really worried. I got up the trail to where he disappeared and went around the corner of a slough and there he was! He didn't go more than 80 yards from where I shot.

I hit him about perfect, double lung, clean pass through. His body cavity was completely filled with blood but it didn't come out. Shot was a touch high, but did the job. I shot him with a DXT 29/65 with CX Maximas at 360 grains, 298fps, and Muzzy 100s.

He was just shy of 175 field dressed.

And no there is no illusion, it really is that flat in Eastern ND!
yeah it is... i'm a flatlander. you can see for miles on end out here

· Registered
3,284 Posts
congrats justin on the buck. its a nice one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.