Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering how many of you guys think an extra $21.00 is worth it to take another turkey. how long before they charge for a pheasant tag or a general small game tag? i love this state, but at this rate i might as well start hunting maryland. especially since they are thinking about raising the cost of our licenses. :eek:

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
I'm gladly paying the $21 this year. When I kill one opening day or early in the season I always find myself wishing I were back in the woods, this year, I can be.

On another note, take a look around the U.S. and see some of the prices in other states, PA is still one of the lowest priced for residents.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i agree, i'll probably buy the extra tag also. because next to archery i just looove turkey hunting :D as of yet i don't think our licenses are out of whack, it's just for the money we do pay i'd like to see sunday hunting( now i did it, just opened a big can of worms) :eek: and possibly some improvement in our pheasant restocking and grouse population. i won't even comment on the deer controversy. i realize we have it better than a lot of states but then again we've always been ranked in the top five as far as a sportsman paradise goes and i'd like to keep it that way. :smile:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I've never done well turkey hunting, so I will not be buying the extra tag. I do think it is a good idea for those who are die hard turkey hunters.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
have they said how they will spend the money?
I wouldn't have any problem if they gave a portion to the N*** who has mad a lot of progress with the turkey population.

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
silverback said:
have they said how they will spend the money?
I wouldn't have any problem if they gave a portion to the N*** who has mad a lot of progress with the turkey population.

Yes, part of it does go to the N**F. The tag was originally only going to be like $11 or some odd number, but they decided to bring the N**F in on it and a percentage of every tag sold is going towards their restocking programs, habitat improvement, food plots and what not. A friend of mine is on the board of the Allegheny Chapter here in PA so I gave him the once over about the tag and all.

Sounds to me like, dare I say it, the PGC may actually be on the right track

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
I agree with the pheasant and the grouse bud. I am only 25, but it's amazing how the population has dropped in the 12 years I've been hunting. I can't tell you the last time I saw a pheasant in the wild honestly, and the only places I come across grouse are in the nastiest, thickest hell hole thickets around that you can't raise your gun in. I haven't actually small game hunted since I was probably 18 or so, but the bird population does need improvement, heck, even the rabbits for that matter.

With so many fox and coyotes around now, they don't stand a fighting chance in the wild anymore IMO

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
PABowhunt4life said:
Sounds to me like, dare I say it, the PGC may actually be on the right track
Right idea, but $21 is a bit high I think.
I give them credit for trying.
I mean if a doe tag is only about $6 why is a turkey tag so much more?
I would just like to see how they came up with that number.

They should give the money to the N***. if they have invested money to help the habitat, why should the PGC take all the income?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
silverback said:

They should give the money to the N***. if they have invested money to help the habitat, why should the PGC take all the income?

DITTO!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
760 Posts
PABowhunt4life said:
I'm gladly paying the $21 this year.

On another note, take a look around the U.S. and see some of the prices in other states, PA is still one of the lowest priced for residents.
AMEN!!!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
PABowhunt4life said:
I'm gladly paying the $21 this year. When I kill one opening day or early in the season I always find myself wishing I were back in the woods, this year, I can be.

AMEN to that also...i have no problem paying the extra $$ for the oppertunity to take a second bird. Its better than going outta state and buying a NR tag
to take a second gobbler. Turkey season is my second favorite right behind deer.

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
silverback said:

Again lol, the PGC ISN't taking all the income, see my post above. As for $21, I really don't think it's that steep. I mean, you pay $20 for your regular license which only entitles you to one spring bird, so $21 for another tag isn't that bad IMO. Granted, for $20 the license lets you take other animals obviously, but for that $20 you're still only allowed one gobbler in the spring.

For the doe tag question, PA has wanted to reduce the number of doe for a LONG time now, that's why they're only $6 lol. I mean, drop $30 you can theoretically nail 5 doe, that's what the PGC wanted, to play on the hunters ego essentially IMO.

Now, the $21 for the turkey tag, the PGC gets their cut and the NW*F gets theirs, so of course they're not gonna give that away cheap with 2 organizations fighting over it. I also don't think they want a problem with the turkey population the same way they screwed up the deer in some parts. $21 will kep a lot of people from buying a second tag for whatever reason, so the overall harvest, even with a second tag shouldn't put a drastic dent in the turkey population IMO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts