Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a little while ago that over a few years XX78s will crack? Has anyone who shot the same XX78s for at least a few years ever had them crack? Thanks.

· Registered
2,313 Posts
Ive got some that are 8 years old that I use regularly for practice arrows they are 2512s they still fly great and I hunt with the same arrows but they are newer I bought them 7 years ago.

If they are cracking theyve been hitting something besides a target. I shoot mine into a 3d deer w/ a roll of hay as a backstop . Never had any problems with them.
Good Luck

· Registered
1,825 Posts
Never noticed on the XX78's but the X7's I used to find cracks in the shafts down near the points that ran up the shafts. Not just a discoloration on the anodize but actual cracks. I believe the 78's and X7's are made from the same aluminum but never had problems as you have stated.

· Registered
3,878 Posts
I've had cobalts crack almost right away shooting indoors. Not group shooting either, just from the stress of shooting best I can figure. Good arrows but a kick in the pants considering the price.

· Excited Delerium
1,024 Posts
I bought a bunch of raw shafts back in '01 or '02 that seemed to have a problem with cracking. Some of it was from group shooting the arrows and one shaft hitting the other causing a crease and a crack, but others had not been hit and were cracking. Most of the cracks were from the label down towards the tip. I assumed that I got a bad batch of shafts as I've bought others that I've shot for many years with no problems.

· Registered
826 Posts
The only cracks that I seen were on my 2312's if it was hit by another arrow or if I hit something hard that was stuck inside a target like a field point or part of another arrow, but never had any crack on my 2216's or my 2117's and I have been shooting them for a long time.

· Registered
2,656 Posts
Yes I;ve seen X7's crack after about 10 years, the more they are shot the more likely it is, that's just the nature of aluminum in general and that alloy in particular.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.