Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm currently selling my dads old Yamaha recurve bow but I have very little information about it. I've spent a while looking around the net trying find info but nothing on this specific one. If anyone knows anything it would be of great use and much appreciated. People are asking a lot of questions and I can't provide.
Dadcloseup.jpg dadbow.jpg
Thanks,
Keir

·
Registered
17,216 Posts
have this moved to the FITA section and you'll get some good responses.

I know very little of that bow. About all I can say is that it was a top performer of its day.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I'd guess it's a YTD, possibly an Alpha-EX (I have a 1988 catalog with one of these) These were marked pretty prominantly next to the main stabilizer below the grip on the opposite side from what's shown. I'm pretty sure it isn't a YTSL ot YTSL2, which are rounder in shape. It's left handed and the fittings are likely metric (button, stabilizer, etc.)

I can't tell if the sight is Yamaha or a Killian - labels should tell, especially the tag in the middle of the tightener knob, which I can't see clearly from the photo. If the screw are not metric, it's probably not Yamaha.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Looks like a-EX to me, YTD and YTD2 are more rounded in front, tho limbs should have model name in them, at least the earlier EX's with the silvery blue graphics have, it should read in that red wedge. Maybe refinished as it should have big EX logo near stab hole, iirc one I had briefly had logos on both sides. Great collectors item for Yamaha enthusiasts, but considering its lefty and 66" 33#, not much value in it. Actually it could even be 64" bow, hard to see the riser lenght from that pic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome guys thanks very much. Quick response too! I forgot to mention it has alpha-ex (looks like cx-ex) on the other side.
Also, can anyone confirm the draw weight and length?

·
Williamsburg, VA.
93 Posts
It may have been lost through time, but there should be a small sticker on the bottom of the riser, either a "S" or "L". "S" indicates a 'Short" riser, and those Short limbs on a short riser would work out to a bow length of 64" and a draw weight of 34#. If it is a 'Long' riser, it'll be a 66" bow with a 33# draw weight.

That said, if you have a shop nearby with a scale/draw board, you could ask them to measure the draw weight at a traditional AMO 28" length. I say that because it is rumored that Yamaha did not measure their draw weights at AMO spec, but rather at some shorter length...

r/
Dave

·
Registered
132 Posts
It's an alpha EX. Left handed, 34lb and 64".

They never made a long left handed riser, so combined with those short limbs it could only be a 64".
As drstack mentioned, Yamaha measured ever so slightly shorter on draw length than the standard so in today's terms it would pull slightly heavier.
Difficult to give a value really but the buyer will be getting a very nice and very fast bow (for the poundage) if it's all in good order.
Those limbs are one of the nicest and fastest limbs ever made in my opinion and are only surpassed by the Ceramic /carbon ones which were as rare as hen's teeth. :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Wow, I find this right after buying a left hand Samick riser and Win&Win SF+ carbon limbs for my wife on Saturday. One of my favorite coaches shot both Yamaha recurve and compound when he wanted something better than a Hoyt carbon plus. If it was longer I would have jumped on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts