Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this bow at a yard sale and couldn't pass it up.

It has no string.

Some questions....

What length/type/specs should I seek for string?

A factor is that my right shoulder is compromised and I would like to use this bow at significantly less than the 52# it appears to be rated for.

Also, any historical info on this bow would be appreciated. It appears by the "amo" that it is post 1968.

Thanks for the help....

AJ

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
2 cams + 4 cables = X
3,404 Posts
To use it at less than 52#, you will need to use a longer string to reduce preload, but that will yield lower brace height and potentially greater vibration feedback (hand shock).

The codes show this is a 66" AMO bow, so it should normally use a 63" string (AMO recurve spec - Bow length - 3" = actual string length.) I am not a Howatt expert, so I do not know if they ever deviated from the AMO standards in their lengths, but given that it has AMO in the codes, I would assume the were using that standard. Measure the bow and if it measures out approximately 66" tip to tip, then 63" is a safe bet. If it measures out significantly longer, such as 69", I would not try the 63".

Once you have determined the correct AMO string length, you might try a 1 -1.5" longer string to see if it will set up and shoot decent with less preload.

·
Registered
992 Posts
While I dont think I would make a habit of it I have fired self bows with tillering strings as I worked towards determining brace height and string length.

If you are confidant in your knot tying I see no reason you couldnt use a tillering string to find the sweet spot of the string length then use that measurement for the flemish string.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.