Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm relatively new to this sport and was just wanting some feed back from everyone one how they go about getting yardage when they come up to a target.

:zip:

·
Banned
3,502 Posts
yards

Just my 2 worth, but when I started years ago I shot and studied 20,30,40,50,60 at the practice butts. After that I would just walk through the woods and pick out trees at 20, then at 30 and so on. It takes a while but you will get good at it. Another was to step in the woods guess and then take a range finder to see if your right. I did not do this at a shoot just to get good at judging yardage. I do not even own a pair of rangefinders now. Not to toot my own horn but most of my friends tell me I am that my judging is excellant :D On the other hand my spelling lacks :sad:

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I like to pick out landmarks and figure distance from point to point. Or divide distance by half, then half again til you come up with a manageable number. Do both to double check each other. And a fast shooter will help too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've always been pretty good at judging distances from 0-40 yards but when it gets to be beyond 40 i have a really hard time with it for some reason. But a trick i used to do to my friends was when we'd be at a shoot with lots of ppl and the group ahead of us was always a little slower was i'd bet them how many steps it would be to the target and then i'd count the other groups steps on the way back. Needles to say i was always right ;).

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Learning to judge accurately at 20, 30, 40 yards, etc, is one way to begin; however, it is not a very accurate way all by itself. Most setups will take the ground away from you and then terrain judging is at best a guess.

The only real way to become an expert is simply to study the targets until you can memorize their "apparent size" at different yardages. Of course this takes resources, time, and a great deal of practice. I like to study the targets by intertwining my fingers together and putting my hands out in front of my face so as to block out all terrain out to the target. Now you have only the target to visualize and that will help you to focus only on the target.

Don't do this when you are actually shooting in competition as it will be considered some sort of "gapping". I usually walk to the stake and make a 5-10 second estimate by studying the target only. Then I try to walk the terrain to reach a decision. If there is a variance, I will then try to find the 1/2 way mark for further confirmation. In the end, I value the "apparent size" and give that figure the most weight in my final decision.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
most of the top shooters I know in my neck of the woods agree that if can always find 30 yds and work from there you will score well

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
the above is some good advice.....

most of your great yardage judgers are not gonna give up thier secrets......

best thing to do is to practice and find your own secrets........

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:shade: Thanks for the advise everyone. A really fast bow would be nice but ASA has speed limits so I can't do much there. I shot there novice class this year and did really well but I'm moving up to open c next year and judging yardage is gonna be tuff with that setup. Guess I have alot of work to do for next year.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I was having the same problems I shot one of my first 3D's today and I was shooting my hunting setup. I would just say oh thats a top pin shot or something like that, I wouldn't guess the yardage. My friends that I were shooting with had slider so they had to guess the yardage but I just don't know how to come up with the number. I'll be using my target sight and stabilizer next year so we'll see how I deal with that. But any help would be appreciated. I mean you could watch how many steps people take to the target if you really cared that much but I would MUCH rather just guess and get it right then cheat. Thanks.

Tim Clark

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
lots of practice!! I test my self against my buddies laser rangfinder and ususally I'm within a yard or two of its readout. You also have to pratice stepping off the yardage and while practicing and then compare what you have in the "rangefinder" in your head while you are out on the 3-D course.

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
yardage

SIR SHOOTS ALOT said:
Ever heard of a little thing called pull and pray????? :tongue:
That's funny :D after shooting for awhile, you will start getting better at judging distance's, but a laser rangefinder does help in learning distance's.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
You can laugh all you want but w/some of the shots they give us here in NY, that is the only chance you have (pull and pray). I mean shooting thru one pine tree is fine but when they run around the woods and gather them all up, and put threm between you and the 82 yrd rabbit you know someone is either trying to sell more arrows, or they are just twisted. :wink: :tongue: :wink:

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Honestly I carry my range finder with me all the time even to work. Whenever I am walking around I am guessing and then checking myself. This is the best way to get lots of practice.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
if your serious

you must have a laser rangefinder . its that simple and use it all the time everywhere you go.. i like to go to local parks and walk the trails and just estimate differant ranges . i find 20 yards and then work off of that.. i shoot a lot of indoor so i can judge 20 to within 1 yard every time..

after a while i play a game i have to hit 5 in a row to go home.. it kind of puts pressure on you to make the correct estimate on the last one. and dont make them gimme 20 yard guesses either.. i always make the last one super tough...

as for the estimates with a span and no ground available , it just takes practice . but i still like to try and imagine the exact distance in the air.. it seems to work for me..

i dont know why but my last 4 shoots i am really on with my rangefinding . i havent missed a target by more than 3 yards . which is great for me and many of the targets have been out right to 50 yards..

just work on it its easy once you get the hang of it.. the problem with most 3d shooters is they get the number right and cant execute the shot properly . or they do both of these correct and didint aim at the right spot... thats just 3d and why so many of us love it so much...

Shoot Strong
Tony

·
Registered
5 Posts
Distance judging

I shoot indoor 450 rounds and outdoor field rounds and 3d for me the easiest thing I use to judge distance is learning twenty yards and working from there. I find twenty yards and then see if the distance from the target to the twenty yard point is the same or different. I think shooting indoor 450 rounds really helped judging twenty yards.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts