Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do guys do with ladder sticks, lock ons, ladder stands, etc after season? Do you leave them in the woods or take them down and store them?

·
Registered
11,944 Posts
I leave my ladder stands up, store the sticks and loc ons.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I never leave anything in the woods - I only hunt public land so everything goes in and out with me every time. When the season is over, my stands go in a storage closet, but during the season they're in the trunk of my car.

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,523 Posts
I leave everything - private ground and too much work to pull all 14 stands and sticks that ho with only to put them all back up in the same trees. I just check straps (and replace of need be) each year.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I pull all my hang ons before gun season. Too many hunters around me have sticky fingers.

·
That's a bear track!
28,860 Posts
I have an Amacker Timb-R-Lock I bought in 1985 or 86. I'll bet it hasn't spent six months of its life under cover. Most of its life has been spent in just two or three trees. I reconditioned it this past spring with some fresh nuts and bolts and back out it went.

Attachments

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have had one ladder stand in the same tree for 3 years and have killed a deer out of it every year opening weekend

·
Registered
137 Posts
remove the cushions and leave the stands up. check the straps and adjust the stands prior to the next season.

·
Registered
11,460 Posts
I take them down at end of season because I normally move them

·
Registered
336 Posts
I take them down after season. I've spent a lot of money on my stands and equipment and dont need to put and extra 8 months of wear on them.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
This year I took down all my hang ons and replaced all cables with chains using new grade 8 bolts and nuts. reading about falls caused by failed cables got me worried because I leave mine out. I inspected the straps made out of seat belt webbing material. They will fail when the stitching gives up the ghost. The sun and weather will deteriorate the stitching for sure, the belts should last longer.

Have you ever read the manufacturer's warnings? They want you to take them down and store them indoors after every use and replace straps every year or two. Lawsuit protection.

if you replace the belts go for seat belt webbing and polyester (not nylon) stitching. I use Tenex thread, and have an old treadle SINGER leather patcher sewing machine. The Tenex thread is super expensive but basically does not deteriorate, the belt will break from deterioration before the thread.

If you leave your stands out like I do, the cables should be replaced with chains and the straps replaced before the stitching gives out. Maybe add a heavy duty ratchet strap made with polyester thread once in awhile. Think of it as cheap insurance, after all it is way cheaper than a hospital bill!

·
Registered
815 Posts
I just loosen the straps on the ladderstands so the tree doesn't grow in them. check in the fall when I'm cutting lanes before season.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts