Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit a doe tonight with what looked like a great hit... I even said "she aint going far" out loud... I had a complete pass through and the arrow was spotless, it had some yellowish stuff on the fletchings.... This concerned me so I waited around awhile before I started to track... After about 45 minutes I started into the brush, I had great blood for about 150 yds then it turned into specs every 5 yards... I decided to back out and go after her in the morning.... Could someone give me some insight on the yellowish stuff and where you think she was hit???? thanks cribbin

·
Registered
485 Posts
Sounds like maybe a clip of the gut to me. Ho was the shot quartering away. Maybe just hit a little far back but with quarting away it still should have clipped a lung.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had that on the biggest buck i had ever shot only a lil blood on the broad head and yellow stuff on the fletching ..he was quartering away... i let him lay for the night and i found him 30 yrd from where i last saw him but i hit alil far back so i cought some guts but but i hit one lung and hart ...remember if he was dead tonight hewill be dead in the moring dont push him ...lookin forward to pic when u find her

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I agree with the others. If it is cool enough tonight let her lay down and die. If you push her to much you will probally never find her. They have great stamina.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had green all over my feathers last year w/ a perfect hit I guess he was swallowing or something I couldn't have walked up and stuck the arrow in a better spot What did the rest of the blood on the ground look like

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hoyt Mama said:
I had green all over my feathers last year w/ a perfect hit I guess he was swallowing or something I couldn't have walked up and stuck the arrow in a better spot What did the rest of the blood on the ground look like
ground blood was bright red

·
Registered
485 Posts
Well keep us informed and get soem pics. I NEED TO SHOOT SOMETHING.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
sounds like bile. kinda like what your dog heaves up sometimes....yummy, anyone want breakfast???

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
found her

didnt take long this morning, found my arrow that I placed on the last spec of blood.... My lab had found her before I could find another drop... only went about 60 more yards... My shot was back a bit, I managed to put a nice slice in one of the lungs... glad I decided to bring my dog, she saved me alot of time..... cribbin

·
Team #28
5,828 Posts
Congrats on finding the deer! Starting to fill the freezer this early in the season is a good thing.

A good tracking dog always makes trailing a little easier.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Congrats on the doe.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts