Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Bow Bender
6,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got off the phone with the nice folks at Bohning, and asked them about the rumor of their vanes. The rumor being that the older vanes lean in different directions and were not as consistant.

The lady said that yes, some of their older vanes did have a lean on occasion and they would still work but it was a good idea to sort through them and get the ones that all lean in the same direction and fletch them instead of taking whatever came out of the package. They would still work, but it is just best to sort through them.

Then she informed me that they have taken care of the "problem" and all the new vanes are good to go. I ordered some to try out.

Another interesting fact is that the AAE Fastset gel which I absolutely love, actually "repels" the vane and makes it not want to bond with the glue. Whatever they treat the base of the Blazer with reacts with AAE's gel and they repel each other so that the bond is weak and they will not stay on.

Now I fletched a friends spray crested shafts with this and they were fine back in March when I did the work, but now they are starting to come off, and season is only a week and half away. So we are re-fletching all our shafts. We were up till 12:00am spray re-cresting our shafts and getting ready for the new blazers.

She recommended using their Fletch-tite Platinum glue as it was made to work with the chemical on the base of the vane, and it was more of a flexible adhesive and does not get brittle like the cyracynate glues. Yeah, I know I spelled that wrong.....

Does anyone else have anything ot add to this? I am going to try the platinum. I just wonder if I could sand and acetone the base like I do my flex-fletch and get the AAE to stick? I don't see why that wouldn't work, and yes, I know it says to not clean the base with anything. Just wondering if anyone else has tried anything different?

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I use Loctite superglue gel and it works fine.

·
Bow Bender
6,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GVDocHoliday said:
Using the Platinum with my blazers...best stuff since sliced bread.
How long do you have to wait between jig changes? I mean, how long do you let the glue dry before you put another vane on? I'm guessing 3-4 minutes?

·
Registered
899 Posts
siucowboy said:
I've had great luck with Blazers and the Platinum....

Same here.
Only issue I've had with the Blazers is that my grouping has shrunk and I've cut a few vanes with my broadheads. No big whoop though.

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Clean the shaft really good, and use the platinum glue. It seems to be the only way to get them to stick.

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Super 91 said:
How long do you have to wait between jig changes? I mean, how long do you let the glue dry before you put another vane on? I'm guessing 3-4 minutes?

Honestly, with platinum glue, I just clamp the vane on and take it off. Less than 10 seconds. The platinum glue is tacky enough to hold the vane on, and just leave them standing up to dry for about an hour.

It will make fletching your arrows a breeze.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Super 91 said:
I only wait about 10 or 12 seconds between vanes
have never had a problem with the platium.
Have had blazers shoot through target many times into straw bale and they still are in good condition.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Blazer Vanes

I use the AZ fletcher for my blazers. I take fine grit sand paper and sand the shaft. Wipe off with a wet papertowel to get the powder off the shaft, let dry. I use either goat-tuff or Bohning Instant gel for my glue. A little trick I found to keep the vanes (any vanes) from sticking to the fletching jig is wipe a light coat of vasilene (spelling) to the jig and it keeps from the glue from sticking to the jig arms and stops glue buildup.

Some blazers only come off when I slap some arrow together in the target...

·
Banned
910 Posts
yikes?!?!?! all i can tell you is I have fletched Blazers and mini Blazers to several dozen carbon arrows in the last 2 years and I have used Plat-Bohning and Goat tuff. Goat tuff is tough. Bohning works but is not as tough. Re-fletch cleaning Bohning Platinum is easier than Goat Tuff. Goat tuff bonds the vane base to the shaft and is tough to clean off. But they dont ever fall off either. Ive found using Bohning, occiasionally a vane would get nocked off. by another arrow impact for example. That doesnt happen with Goat tuff. Just wipe the back end of the shaft with a firm grip with a moist paper towel and your good to go.

A side note...I e mailed them and asked if they ever thought about making a lower profile broadhead Blazer vane in the 2.75-3.5" range, because the achilles heel of the design is the xtra hi-profile. Theyre response was they make the mini Blazer. Hello???

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
Bhunter32 said:
Blazers and Goat tuff.
2nd that, but have also used Platinum with success

·
Registered
390 Posts
i have used aae fastset gel on my last 1/2 doz. blazers,no problems been on 5 weeks,an we shoot every other day,they our on gt ul lites, whisker biscut,240 speed,holding up fine,i did nothing to the arrow but put them on. i was carefull not to mess with the base of the blazer.:)

·
Bow Bender
6,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
greenboy said:
i have used aae fastset gel on my last 1/2 doz. blazers,no problems been on 5 weeks,an we shoot every other day,they our on gt ul lites, whisker biscut,240 speed,holding up fine,i did nothing to the arrow but put them on. i was carefull not to mess with the base of the blazer.:)
I thought it odd too that the AAE fastset gel was not supposed to work well. That is what I used on my Gold Tips that I spray crested and they seem to be holding on tight as can be! I will try the Platinum this next dozen I am making up, but it is hard to give up my Fastset gel!

Do any of you guys think that sanding the base of the vane and using acetone to clean it then useing the Fastset get would work? Or would it harm the vane? I am used to modifying everything I get my hands on. I think I will at least try it on one of the kids arrows and see how it holds up. They put it through a better test than I can anyway...:mg: :wink:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I actually liked my AAE fast gel better

For ease of use the gel was much user friendly than my Platinum. The Platinum when using a bliz jig and you finish a third vane and get the next arrow to setup and go, your platinum sets up in the tube tip just a bit, then you have to squeeze just a bit harder with sends out way to much glue for one vane, then you have a mess. I even wipe the tip as to not have excess on the end of the tube tip.

The AAE worked great for my Blazers, I do use wraps always.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts