Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shop owner put a D-loop on my new Martin Quest, 63 lb, today. He usually likes to tie a knot on the end of the loop, instead of the burned bulb, for safety reasons. I asked him to burn the ends instead of the knot, which he did. After about 4 shots the loop material broke in mid-draw. Fortunately, I grazed my cheek during the draw and did not loose any teeth. I'm not sure what he was using for loop material, but he has done hundreds. Never had a problem.

The material looked to me like it broke. The burned bulb was gone. It did not pull through. He tied another D-loop with the knot and I shot about 8 more shots with no problem.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Does it sound like the material might be the problem? I hate the single knot on the ends of the D-loop. It looks ugly.

·
Registered
825 Posts
No,never has yet.I use BCY from the Redheadedcharm here on AT.Have been useing the loops for about 15yrs now without any probs.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have busted a d-loop. Had a nice fat lip for a day or two. Caught me totally off guard. I use a Carter BK hunter release, and for some reason it chews up D-loops. I got a new string this summer and had a d-loop installed in july, and I will probably have to replace it before hunting season because it looks like it is fraying a little.
Personally I think its the release, but I don't want to change, I am happy with my shooting and preperation for the upcoming season.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I have used some material (don't remember the brand) that was doing the exact same thing. No matter how carefully you burned the ends, they would break right behind the burned bulb. Needless to say, I now use a different material for d-loops.:wink: Glad you only grazed your face, I can say from experience.... it hurts.:embara:

Darrel

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I was just talking to the guy at the pro shop in town the other day. He said that with loops, if the burn on the ends of the string are too hot, they will crystalize the polymers in the string material. Hence the broken off bulb. It is kinda tricky to get them to burn to melt instead of burn and char. Personally, the guy charges $5 to strip re-serve and reapply knocking points, so to me it is more economical to shoot off the string than have a broken nose!:)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hey, this sight is all about helping others, and I am WAY ahead of where I was last year at this time getting ready for bowseason.

Folks here turned me on to Hoyts
Fixed my form
Convinced me to try the Anchor Sight and get a QAD drop away,
and taught me how to tie my own D loop.

the best single piece of advice I got from here...
USE A SOLDERING IRON TO MELT THE ENDS OF THE D LOOP!
You can get a bigger blob without burning the string, serving, or D loop. No charring. Just a nice mushroom head that ain't gonna pull through.

Paying it forward.
:darkbeer:

·
Registered
340 Posts
OverMyHead said:
Hey, this sight is all about helping others, and I am WAY ahead of where I was last year at this time getting ready for bowseason.

Fixed my form

You can get a bigger blob without burning the string, serving, or D loop. No charring. Just a nice mushroom head that ain't gonna pull through.

Paying it forward.

Agree. Make the mushroom slowly. I use the side of a bic lighter. I don't use the flame itself. I burn the lighter for a bit then start pushing the string against the side of the lighter. You can form the mushroom correctlyl this way.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
never had one break

I've never had one break!!! I have had strands break, but thats one of the thing you need to check!!! anywho, the reason the strands were breaking was because the release had a small burr inside, after a friend used it for one shot on a metal D loop!!! That release has since been reworked!!! D loops should be replaced at about every 1000 shots!!! or at least I do!!!

·
Bowhemian
8,295 Posts
jbird90 said:
I have busted a d-loop. Had a nice fat lip for a day or two. Caught me totally off guard. I use a Carter BK hunter release, and for some reason it chews up D-loops. I got a new string this summer and had a d-loop installed in july, and I will probably have to replace it before hunting season because it looks like it is fraying a little.
Personally I think its the release, but I don't want to change, I am happy with my shooting and preperation for the upcoming season.
Have you carefully inspected the talon on that Hunter release for a rough spot? If not I suggest that you do. I've been using a Carter Hunter for years and it's never worn away at a loop.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Anything can break. I've been using D loops for about 5 years. Never had one come undone. I've tied on dozens of them in our shop and never had a complaint. I'm not a 100% D loop tech. I'll put them on to solve a problem, or at the customers request. Overall; they've been an excellent addition to our tech's arsenal. Use good material, and do it right, and you should be able to avoid problems with D loops.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mint Hill, sorry to hear about your loop experience. I have been tying my own D loops for years and haven't had one break, but I guess it could happen. The only thing I had happen was have it pull through a time or two...Not a good feeling :confused: ...Literally There is definitely a learned trick to tying loops.

·
Banned
4,365 Posts
tree stand said:
No,never has yet.I use BCY from the Redheadedcharm here on AT.Have been useing the loops for about 15yrs now without any probs.
Same here, BCY will not break, properly installed, the bulbs will not pull through. I put new loops on my bows about every 1500 shots(about every 6 weeks) when I start noticing fraying of strands. I have had some of that cheap stuff from Allen archery pull through.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the tips. The loop broke just behind where it wrapped around the string, so it was not the release. It may have just have been a weak spot on the cord. I have a loop that has been on a High Country since 2001 with no problems.

That is interesting that the problem may be over-burning. Never thought of that.

I may try a different material and use a soldering iron.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I've only had one loop break, and that was one that I had melted an end, wasn't happy with the mushroom, and melted it again. Now, if I'm not happy with the mushroom, I cut it off and start with a new end.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, I guess, I got too casual one day and got punched in the mouth. It can happen, the material wasn't the problem, just shotty workmanship. As far as wear you will get a better release and the loop will last longer if you wax it.

·
Registered
13,494 Posts
OverMyHead said:

Fixed my form

Paying it forward.
now there is a good idea...thanx

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like I may have got the bulb too hot, damaging the cord, with a lighter. For those of you that have used a soldering iron, Does it make a good bulb? What type of soldering iron do you use, and do you just put the cord up against the iron? I'm on a mission to get this resolved.

·
Registered
348 Posts
OverMyHead said:

Fixed my form

Paying it forward.

Sounds like a good idea. I think I'll try that next time.

Thanks for passing it along. And you're right, this is a great place. I can't imagine where I'd be regarding archery without this resource.

·
registered archer
3,251 Posts
hmm bcy loops...maybe thats the secret material george put on my bow :wink:

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
You guys have guts

No loops on my bows. Just one more thing to be aggrevated with and with no real advantages over my rope back tension trigger.:darkbeer:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts