Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already did a search and didn't find a direct answer to my question. So I need a little help/advice here.

When measuring FOC, Do you measure from tip of nock to tip of bh?

I am currently shooting a 380 gr. 27 3/4 Maxima 350 @ 70 lbs., at 301 fps. It flys great with a 100 gr. field point out to 80 yards. I think my FOC is under 9% currently.

I plan on elk hunting with this setup this fall and was looking to go to a 125 gr. bh, if it would give me better flight than the 100gr. Thus giving me a new total arrow weight of about 405gr, and hopefully a better FOC. I will need to purchase new 125 gr heads if I do this.

What do you think??

·
Back Yard Champion
33,927 Posts
Two methods and both use the bottom of the groove of the nock. One method, that perferred, measures to the end of the arrow shaft - not the tip or insert (called Cut Shaft length). The other method includes the tip.

See FOC in General Archery Information. Diagrams and stuff.

·
Back Yard Champion
33,927 Posts
I'm with dwagoner. The 125 gr bhead would be best weight for elk if the arrow flies good. Elk have thicker hide, bigger bones and a wide "boiler room."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.