Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fmaily of bears where i hunt and i was wondering how would I prevent a run in or bad situation example the swiping of certain baskets. but seriously what should i do if i come across one of these things

·
Banned
11,666 Posts
Depend® Xtra-Absorbency /w buttons might work for you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
don't pack donuts in your back pocket........:D just kidden. i hunt alot of bears and have spent alot of time watching their habits and patterns. just keep an eye out for cubs. listen for noises in trees. if you see a cub in a tree. vacate. mama is real nearby. watch for feeding areas, and a high concentration of scat on trails and in one general area. other than that just be real aware.:cool:

alot of people think what would i do if a bear came after me.well i look at it like this. i could have a big boar bearing down on me and plain and simple he aint gonna catch me..........
he's gonna be slippin in my **** the whole way!!!!!:eek: :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
548 Posts
well if you happen across momma and baby just start backing away slowly. never ever turn your back to the bear. yell at the bear and throw stuff at it if you have to. do not run away. this is just gonna make the thing chase you. 9 times out of 10 the bear is gonna turn and run away anyhow so dont be to worried about being chomped on but yet you still need to be cautious and aware of you surroundings.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I hunt around Grizzlies, see them every year and have not been too traumatised yet.:eek: I keep an arrow knocked at all times and carry a 44 Mag., I also have pepper spray incase I need to season one.:D They are best avoided if you can. Stay Alert at all times!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I agree with Oregon Shooter. I was just in northern alberta on my first bear hunt this may,The guides instructed us to make ourselves to seem bigger and meaner then we are. holler, wave arms, smash branches etc.(if you get in a bad situation) Dont get yourself between the cubs and mama or youll be doomed:eek:

Ryan

·
Registered
564 Posts
I was just up in Alaska last week doing some salmon fishing. I was fishing on the bank of the Kenai river when we heard someone across the river yelling and screaming (obviously trying to scare a bear) a few minutes later 5 or 6 large caliber pistol shots rang out. Seems that the yell and wave your arms option didn't work so well and they had to resort to "plan B". It sure raised the awareness of everyone standing along the bank catching "yogi snacks".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts